Ludwig 60s vs DW

sdorsey

Reaction score
I'm an amateur drummer--just playing in my home, no gigging. I am looking for a 3 piece kit, have all the
hardware, cymbals and snare. I'm looking at two used kits: a Ludwig from the '60s, and a newer DW jazz
set. Both priced similarly, Ludwig is 9x13, 14x22, and 16x16. DW is in better shape, 9x12, 12x14 and 16x20.
I play mainly jazz and big band, though as I say, just in my home. Am looking for a nice, fat mellow sound.
Advice? Thanks!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hunch...the Ludwigs are overpriced. Post pics of both and the price.
If you don't know a lot about vintage drums, the DWs are a safer bet.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
The Ludwigs probably sound better but the thing with vintage drums is that sometimes they have hardware issues and they’re old you know and don’t work as good as they probably used to.

Jam-Man

Reaction score
If you have a chance to play both go for it. I love DWs and Ludwigs, but I don't have vintage drums, both my Ludwig and DW are "newer" and they're both awesome. There are a lot of people who hate DW (not sure why)...but try both if you can. One thing for sure, the DW hardware is bullet proof...it will last forever.

HowardW

Reaction score
I have vintage Ludwigs and I've owned DWs. The sizes for the Ludwigs are more for a rock sound. They'll have a good fat sound and will work well with the big band sound. However for quiet, contemporary jazz, the DWs will have a better tuning range and will not be prone to blow over the other instruments. Either way, since you only play at home, as Lee says above, pick the one that speaks to you.

As far as the hardware, I would use newer hardware either way. My older vintage Ludwig hardware is not as good as current offerings and for all my sets I use either current Ludwig ATLAS or DW hardware.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
need confirmation he meant DW Jazz series ...leaned toward meant "jazz" size..

could be wrong..I was. once (long long ago ; ) lol!

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
60's Ludwigs had some SERIOUS quality control issues and were using very primitive methods to lay up their shells. I had a set with shells so bad I had to use a rubber mallet to get the heads off.

OTOH, I have a newer brass DW snare that is one of the best snares I have ever owned, comparable to my old 70's LUDWIG Black Beauty.

DW for the quality.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW's are the better bet all day long. The hardware alone will be better than vintage Ludwig. I have nothing against ludwig and owned a ludwig set back in 79. But todays hardware particularly DW hardware (in this case Tom mounting hardware and bass drum spurs ect. will be much better than vintage Ludwig. For me would be a no brainer...

sdorsey

Reaction score
Much appreciate the good advice and all of your experience. Hardware is not a problem, as I have good, modern stuff.
Need to think about all of this!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Performance series is DW's mid-tier offering, not their top-of-the-line. Are the Ludwigs "Club Date" or "Super Classics"?

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
I've owned several 60's Ludwigs over the years and love them, but for a home jazz kit, the DW sizes are going to be more practical and maybe give you a better sound (although Joe Morello would probably disagree). You kind of have to appreciate the vibe of the old Ludwigs for it to be worth it. As far as build quality goes, I've never had any serious issues with those old kits, but, again the DW's are newer and will be lower maintenance in general.