Ludwig 70's 3 ply shell with major crack from drop... Repair?

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got this. I'm not sure what to do... This happened in the 80's and the owner said he kept playing it with no issues. Apparently it was dropped right on that lug. It's on the reso side.

The pressure from the lug being pulled by the head kind of holds it all together. If I press from the outside with some force it does flex, opening the crack. The last picture is me putting some force on it.

Would you all fix this, or just leave it alone? Seems you'd have to pry it open, fill it with glue and then clamp it all down.

Thanks

Attachments

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That sucks, but I've repaired stuff like that. The trick is to go slow and do a dry run before introducing any glue. Figure out what kind of clamps you're going to use, fabricate some cauls if needed, etc. Once you got it figured out, just pry it open carefully, get some Titebond in there and clamp it overninght. Then use some contact cement to re-attach the chipped wrap. Then maybe some light sanding and/or cosmetic touch-up inside to make the joint smoother. You won't be able to make the damage disappear completely, but you can make it neat and solid. If not sure of your skills or desiring a true pro job, I'm sure someone like Precision could handle it.

Latest posts