Ludwig '70s Orphans Quarantine Restoration project

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my latest restoration/quarantine project....Been sitting on these for a few years....The BD (26x14) & FT (18x16) were acquired from a friend...non sequential serial #'s BD 1091044 - FT 2002466 - The tom (13x9) # 1393198 was an eBay purchase to go with this kit....as you can see from the picture there are both a rail tom mount (which I think was added) & the period correct tom mount...plus some other mount which I'm not sure what it is, possibly a cymbal mount? I plan on filling all the extra holes and refinishing this as a virgin (LOL) Bass drum - Any suggestions on how to fill the extra holes??

I am currently looking for a Green Glass / Sparkle wrap to finish this.....
2020-04-22 12.23.54.jpg

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dig the JHB inspiration... I would probably make a plug of poplar for the center post mount, unless you want to get real nitty gritty and cut a plug from a scrap 3ply shell... Aside from the large hole, I've heard pretty good experience with Minwax Wood Filler. I believe it's stainable, but for the clear interior look, you'd probably need to find a maple color paint to really hide the holes. I've never done maple plugs and finish them, but could be an option. Are you planning to finish the interior with 'granitone' like the 13"?

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank You for the Minwax filler...I'm not going too crazy with the plugging, and finishing of the interior - I want to plug the small holes and see how to get that big hole plugged...I'm in an apartment and have no access to cut a plug at the moment.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would consider leaving the center post and using the modern Ludwig single tom arm that fits it. I use it on my 60's Ludwig and it is a great mount that doesn't look out of place.

Ludwig part# LR225STH

Or you can use the diamond cover plate that Jim Petty sells, or this one on ebay

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks el_37 - I'm about to apply the new wrap - filled all the extra holes - I have a thing about mounting my tom from a snare stand - and "virgin" bass drums...this is far from a virgin with all the extra holes - :lol: - pics to follow....

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Finally got all of my hardware together since these were orphans I had options and decided to do the following: Fill all of the extra holes in the BD and wrap it as a Virgin! Remove the tom mount, fill in those holes and mount it on a snare stand - and for the FT - convert the original legs to A.T.L.A.S. mounts - I know they stick out really far but I like the idea of mounting a cymbal off the legs!
Here are the pics - Wrap was purchased from Jammin' Sam (great guy and superb customer service!) The color is Deep Green Glass Glitter

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice job.... looks like it turned out real well.
That green glitter really pops!!!

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Hop, Now if I can only play them!! :( Hoping the local rehearsal studio opens soon!

Latest posts