header.nohb.html

Ludwig Acrolites

actionjcl

Reaction score
Hey did Ludwig discontinue the Acrolite snares or just the 5x14 models? I went on Sweetwater’s website and looked up Acrolite and was taken the 5x14 reissue model, but it states that it is no longer available. They also have nothing on the either of the 6.5x14 models. All other sites I’ve been on either only list the 6.5x14 models or if they happen to also list the 5x14 models, they are out of stock with nothing indicating if or when they expect to get them back in stock. They 6.5x15 are an excellent deal for an American made drum starting at $499.00, especially given inflation and the price of the 5x14 Supraphonic is $599.00.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Well Milano Music in Arizona supposedly has it, but many others don’t including Sweetwater, which is a huge Ludwig dealer.

TeeBop

Reaction score
on a slightly different Acrolite issue ... I recently tried to clean my 70's brushed aluminum acrolite and used a harsh cleaner, one that ended up taking off the brushed look, so now it's just the bare aluminum. Has anyone ever had the same problem? Ever tried spray painting these drums a color different from the brushed or black galaxy? Would it affect the sound?

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
on a slightly different Acrolite issue ... I recently tried to clean my 70's brushed aluminum acrolite and used a harsh cleaner, one that ended up taking off the brushed look, so now it's just the bare aluminum. Has anyone ever had the same problem? Ever tried spray painting these drums a color different from the brushed or black galaxy? Would it affect the sound?
I have stripped (powder coat) from a 80's acrolite. Then a three step wet sanding process until it was near mirror polish. I didn't apply a clear coat, instead opting for the raw aluminum to patina. Prob spent 5/6 hours on it. Looks amazing. Didn't notice much difference in the sound, maybe a little more open overall. You can spray paint it with appropriate primer/paint. You could find a local place to powder coat it ($$$). Materials are relatively cheap for polish or paint. Elbow grease only cost calories.

TeeBop

Reaction score
I have stripped (powder coat) from a 80's acrolite. Then a three step wet sanding process until it was near mirror polish. I didn't apply a clear coat, instead opting for the raw aluminum to patina. Prob spent 5/6 hours on it. Looks amazing. Didn't notice much difference in the sound, maybe a little more open overall. You can spray paint it with appropriate primer/paint. You could find a local place to powder coat it ($$$). Materials are relatively cheap for polish or paint. Elbow grease only cost calories.
Interesting .. thanks for the reply. So allowing the raw aluminum to patina, does that mean you did nothing to it after the set sanding? what does it look like now and does it keep changing? I've never seen the process in real life.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Interesting .. thanks for the reply. So allowing the raw aluminum to patina, does that mean you did nothing to it after the set sanding? what does it look like now and does it keep changing? I've never seen the process in real life.
It picks up finger prints immediately. After a while it just dulls to a matte finish. Which you could polish out with any metal polish or avoid it by applying a clear coat. The drum is in storage or I would send you pics.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
It picks up finger prints immediately. After a while it just dulls to a matte finish. Which you could polish out with any metal polish or avoid it by applying a clear coat. The drum is in storage or I would send you pics.
Here's a approximate idea of what the shell would look like at almost stain finish.

Attachments

• _DSC0288-2.jpg
    _DSC0288-2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 11