Ludwig and Ludwig (30’s?) snare questions.

A_T_P

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping for some help with this one. Check out the photos. From my research I’m thinking this may have originally had the “super-sensitive” style snare mechanism due to the extra holes you see, and maybe the bottom hoop is an indication of that as well?

I know the strainer is older, so maybe this modification was done a while ago? Nonetheless, this thing had the mojo, so I couldn’t pass it up. Size is 7 x 14.

Thanks for the help in advance! I love learning.

Attachments

Reactions: bob

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes that was a Super. Please let me know if the bottom hoop comes up for sale.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Word is that there are some legendary, hidden-away cats that can make those parts. Pre-internet fellows.

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word is that there are some legendary, hidden-away cats that can make those parts. Pre-internet fellows.
If you find one, please let me know!!!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a guy many years ago that used to cast Ludwig Super and Super Sensitive parts from molds of originals, but unfortunately he died a long time ago.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
What about the legendary Bill Wanser? The (now late) Jim Petty might have been another. Also, Mike Currotto might have some connections.

A_T_P

Reaction score
There was a guy many years ago that used to cast Ludwig Super and Super Sensitive parts from molds of originals, but unfortunately he died a long time ago.
Wow I wish someone would still be doing that!

A_T_P

Reaction score
What about the legendary Bill Wanser? The (now late) Jim Petty might have been another. Also, Mike Currotto might have some connections.
I'll certainly get in touch with Mike! Thanks a bunch.