Ludwig arc spurs ?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my latest drum set purchase (Amber Vista set posted about in detail elsewhere) I noticed that the spur brackets are installed with the wing nut facing downward towards the ground. Not only is this somewhat unhandy but I suspect that someone flipped them over. On every other set I've owned with these spurs the adjustment bolts are on top.

IMG_4278.JPG

Anyone else seen them facing down on a set that likely came that way from the factory?

I assume I need to flip them back the next time I have a head off the drum...but with Ludwig you never know. Maybe it was a Vistalite thing.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything (even the vistalites) pictured in the 71 and or 80 catalog is topside

Last edited:

Spoonman

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggest you take off the front head and then the Spurs to see how best to place them. Just need to make sure the Spurs angle forward when placed in the mount. I bet you can just rotate them and/or switch sides…?
Others might know best..

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming they can be flipped at some point, when I get the ambition and/or a new batter head. I wish I would have noticed this when putting the colortone reso head on. I could reach thru the port in the front head but would run the risk of maybe snagging it and ripping it...no thanks.

The spurs work fine as is, just very awkward to adjust...and not "correct".

Fingers crossed that they will just flip and not the result of some factory drilling error. I guess if that's the case it's not a huge deal since they are still functional.

I have a 20" bass from around 1970, originally with these spurs that the drill job was really botched up. A huge variation side to side...and it was factory. That shell now has fold out spurs (rewrapped). The wing bolts still faced topside on that one though.

Thanks for the replies.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh it will be absolutely no problem to flip. The hole on the interior bracket goes towards the rear, and you can change the angle of the arc by having it either towards the top to point more towards the floor or the bottom for more horizontal splay. I suspected it was so they could flip them around so they'd work for bigger drums using the same jigs (i.e. a 20" can be set wider, where a 24" would need to point more downward to reach the floor), but I never saw enough of a sample of drums I was 100% sure hadn't been opened up and messed with to put together any kind of Unified Theory Of 70's Ludwig Arc Spur Installation.

The later big versions of these didn't have this flexibility.

Reddy

Reaction score
The spur mounts will fit upside or downside. The locating plate inside the bass drum is directional. It only works one way. It should be an easy fix.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Do they reach the ground OK? I never would have guessed but turning the plate around inside the bass drum gave me much more spur to work with. I have had several early 70's Ludwig sets and always had that problem. I couldn't believe how much better this worked.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spur mounts will fit upside or downside. The locating plate inside the bass drum is directional. It only works one way. It should be an easy fix.
This has been my experience as well from detailing a couple of Ludwig kits.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they reach the ground OK? I never would have guessed but turning the plate around inside the bass drum gave me much more spur to work with. I have had several early 70's Ludwig sets and always had that problem. I couldn't believe how much better this worked.
They work fine as is, just kind of awkward to adjust. I wonder if someone flipped them on purpose for some odd reason or simply got it wrong after taking them off to polish the shell or something.

It's not impossible that some new guy at the Ludwig plant installed them wrong on day one either but that seems a lot less likely.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my 70's Super Classic with the smaller arc spurs. The wing nut is on top! As K.O. mentioned, having them on the bottom is possible, but it's then awkward to access the wing nut. I sold the kit some years back. Should have hung onto it!

-Mark

Attachments

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I discovered that one of them on my Salesman kit was like that. Discovered it when attempting to slide the leg in but couldn’t get it to go in. Took the redo head off, flipped the bracket over and problem solved.
It was definitely a head scratcher though.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Here's my 70's Super Classic with the smaller arc spurs. The wing nut is on top! As K.O. mentioned, having them on the bottom is possible, but it's then awkward to access the wing nut. I sold the kit some years back. Should have hung onto it!

-Mark

Man what a gorgeous set!