Ludwig Atlas Classic modern flat-based cymbal stands; seeking user-feedback

ludtubs

Reaction score
I’m likely going to pick up a few of the modern Atlas Classic flat-based straight cymbals stands, but wanted to hear from anyone that’s really put em through the paces by gigging on them regularly. Just a couple of questions about things I’ve heard that give me pause:

Any issues with build quality, such as wing screws stripping, or the tilter rivet/pin having play where it meets the tubing?

Has Ludwig made any improvements since they first released them several years ago? I’ve heard they made some tweaks, but hoping to hear from folks that have experience with the most current versions, or even better, experience with both the earlier and most current versions, for comparison.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have many--the only issues are the non-doctor's office feet ones are better, the rubber feet crack over time, and I have had some issues with the tapered tube getting stuck, but other than that they're wonderful--sturdy and lightweight.

ludtubs

Reaction score
I have many--the only issues are the non-doctor's office feet ones are better, the rubber feet crack over time, and I have had some issues with the tapered tube getting stuck, but other than that they're wonderful--sturdy and lightweight.
Thank you, but I think you’re referring to the vintage ones (which I also have). I’m asking about the modern “Atlas Classic” series of flat-based stands. I’ve edited the title of my post to be more specific.
Thanks again!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a bunch of the Atlas Classics that I bought about three years ago. I like them a lot, with some caveats. They are not the lightest, but they are sturdier and more stable than the lightest ones. I use them for cases like mounting a rack tom and a large crash on one tripod base. I prefer the Tama Classics for single cymbals and toms.

The one major bummer is the clamp that holds the cymbal boom arm does not grip that boom securely, so I actually slip a thin metal shim into that clamp. Same for their add-on arm for a second cymbal.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a full set and have been using them for several years, no complaints. They are lighter than the heavy stuff...not as light as the light stuff but I use two bags and no biggie. I replaced on the feet on mine with the non-adjusting lower profile rubber foot. They look so much better this way. I get the idea behind the feet that you can adjust the height and overlaps stands etc. but seems overkill to me. If you have that many stands you're probably not likely to be after classic looking flat base stands.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used them for about 2 years before they sort of just won't work anymore (when they were 1st issues). The 1st issue was the boom arm started to slip and them the inner tubes would bend/not collapse completely. They last for about 400 gigs in that 2 years.

ludtubs

Reaction score
I have a full set and have been using them for several years, no complaints. They are lighter than the heavy stuff...not as light as the light stuff but I use two bags and no biggie. I replaced on the feet on mine with the non-adjusting lower profile rubber foot. They look so much better this way. I get the idea behind the feet that you can adjust the height and overlaps stands etc. but seems overkill to me. If you have that many stands you're probably not likely to be after classic looking flat base stands.
Thanks! I’m kind of with you about the feet. Like the idea, but they look a little weird, especially if using the bottom chamber.

Happen to have a pic of the feet you’re using?

ludtubs

Reaction score
I used them for about 2 years before they sort of just won't work anymore (when they were 1st issues). The 1st issue was the boom arm started to slip and them the inner tubes would bend/not collapse completely. They last for about 400 gigs in that 2 years.
Great feedback, thank you. I kind of wish they had memory locks. What you’re saying about the nylon inside the tubes... I experienced that years ago w/their 80s/90s heavy duty hardware (ironically). Though I’m guilty of being an over-tightener. Back then especially, not so much now.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m kind of with you about the feet. Like the idea, but they look a little weird, especially if using the bottom chamber.

Happen to have a pic of the feet you’re using?
Here's a link to an ebay add for the feet:
and a pic from online look at the feet on the hi hat stand:
d86c88ca3e14d276a61863c5a988d1e5-970-80.jpg

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is one case where I like the adjustable foot: on the hihat, I set the back foot tall and the two front feet low, tilting the stand a bit toward me. In all other cases I don't find the overlapping concept even works well anyway, so I set the feet tall on the premise that maybe it helps with sustain. *shrug*

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great feedback, thank you. I kind of wish they had memory locks. What you’re saying about the nylon inside the tubes... I experienced that years ago w/their 80s/90s heavy duty hardware (ironically). Though I’m guilty of being an over-tightener. Back then especially, not so much now.
You're welcome. Overall they're great stands and probably for most situations they'll be fine (I actually liked the feet where you could have them staggerd) . I think I may have been setting up/tearing down too much for them (I do play a lot of gigs each year) and ended up replacing them with the DW lightweight stands.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a set of the flat base Ludwig stands from the early 2000's so I can't comment on the quality of these newer ones. However, I used these floor tom feet when it came time to replace the feet. Mine were a little loose so I put some black heat shrink tubing on the end of the leg before putting the feet on.

mandrum

Reaction score
I think they are cheaply made. The whole top of one of mine wobbles slightly and the set screw won't budge to tighten it up. The feet have come off ion occasion n my hardware bag and I have to go searching while I'm setting up. Oh yeah one more thing a couple of them bind up in the nylon sleeve I have to pull and twist like hell to extend them. Other than that they are great.

Latest posts