Ludwig Atlas/Hercules Hi Hat Repair Questions

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy. Before I completely tear this sucker down I thought I'd see if anyone has dealt with this before. The nylon spring adjustment wheel will not budge either direction and I don't want to force it. Is this a common issue? Easily remedied? Thanks for your input!
Dave

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back off the set screw (298-T)
It may need a thorough cleaning too.View attachment 376731
Thanks much Woody! I was not familiar with this stand and didn't realize there was a set screw to lock it in position. (he said, feeling rather stupid)
I plan on doing a flush and fill. It's pretty sluggish and gunky feeling. I'll post here when I can't figure out the next obvious procedure. :)

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned one of these since back in the 1970s, but I thought that the set screw worked only to secure the lower tube into the tube receiver. The set screw is not in the tension wheel, is it? I don't remember one being there.

Anyway, I've seen a number of the nylon adjustment wheels that seized to the rod. The nylon literally shrinks over time and can seemingly weld itself to the rod. I've run across a few that broke as I tried to free them.

I'd use a very thin oil to lubricate the wheel/rod contact points. Let the oil sit overnight and add more as needed as it penetrates. You might use masking tape to build a small dam around the perimeter of the wheel, then fill it with oil and allow to sit overnight.

Once the oil has had a chance to penetrate, try to move it by hand. If it still does not move, use pliers with padded jaws to gently rock the wheel back and forth in hopes that it will break free. Once it does, use a very light grease to lubricate the rod, lest the wheel seize up again.

Maybe this will help.

GeeDeeEmm

woody1953

Reaction score
The set screw retains the adjusting knob in the down tube. It can be turned in too far and bind the part of the adjustment knob that is inside the down tube.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMG_7426.JPG
IMG_7429.JPG

Thanks GeeDeeEmm! The wheel is not binding on the rod as it moves up and down just fine. And while the set screws (front and back) must be loosened a bit for the wheel to spin freely, they mainly serve to keep the nylon sleeve/wheel from falling out.
The actual culprit turned out to be the nylon wheel/sleeve binding to the threaded metal sleeve that retains the spring. A little penetrating oil and elbow grease and poof! :) Hopefully this thread will help out other folks with the same issue.