Ludwig Atlas Pillar Clutch vs. Tama Star Snare Stands

actionjcl

Reaction score
Hi, what are the differences between the Ludwig Atlas Pillar Clutch and Tama Star snare stands? It seems to me that they both seem to achieve the same outcome with similar style.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi, what are the differences between the Ludwig Atlas Pillar Clutch and Tama Star snare stands? It seems to me that they both seem to achieve the same outcome with similar style.
These stands are fairly similar in features, the adjustable arms (basket), low vibration basket grips being the key feature for top end stands these days.
Assuming you're looking at the Ludwig Atlas Pro LAP23SS and the Tana STAR HS1000W, the differences that I see are:
Tama: No pillar clutch (you can't remove just the snare basket, but need to remove the basket/post from the stand).
Ludwig: No spiked feet. No "isolation mute" in the main post (reduces energy transfer from the snare to the stand).

My preference is for the high-end Pearl variant, as I recall they were the first to have these features (minus the Ludwig pillar clutch of course). The the spiked feet are now a Pearl option/accessory.
I guess the pillar clutch is most useful when breakdown the stand for transportation... and I can't recall ever needed to use the spikes in the feet of my Pearl stand.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Over the past 50 years I've used the Walberg & Auge "Buck Rogers", Ludwig Atlas (original) and Pearl (the first one with the universal angle adjustment, equivalent to their current S1030) snare stands.
While each of these firmly held the snare drum, they all crept around on the floor under heavy backbeat and rimshot playing.

In 2013 I bought the Ludwig LAP23SS and have used it with my 5" Black Beauty and 5" Reissue Dyna-Sonic. It is without doubt the best snare stand I've ever used. It holds the drum securely, but allows it to freely resonate, and it is so solid when I'm playing it feels like the stand is bolted to the floor. The pillar clutch allows it to break-down into 2 pieces that easily fit into an equipment case.

The only downside is that it's heavy — the heaviest snare stand I've ever come across. That's one of the things I like about it, since it helps keep it firmly anchored to the floor.

actionjcl

Reaction score
These stands are fairly similar in features, the adjustable arms (basket), low vibration basket grips being the key feature for top end stands these days.
Assuming you're looking at the Ludwig Atlas Pro LAP23SS and the Tana STAR HS1000W, the differences that I see are:
Tama: No pillar clutch (you can't remove just the snare basket, but need to remove the basket/post from the stand).
Ludwig: No spiked feet. No "isolation mute" in the main post (reduces energy transfer from the snare to the stand).

My preference is for the high-end Pearl variant, as I recall they were the first to have these features (minus the Ludwig pillar clutch of course). The the spiked feet are now a Pearl option/accessory.
I guess the pillar clutch is most useful when breakdown the stand for transportation... and I can't recall ever needed to use the spikes in the feet of my Pearl stand.
What do you specifically like about the Pearl S1030 snare stand?

actionjcl

Reaction score
Over the past 50 years I've used the Walberg & Auge "Buck Rogers", Ludwig Atlas (original) and Pearl (the first one with the universal angle adjustment, equivalent to their current S1030) snare stands.
While each of these firmly held the snare drum, they all crept around on the floor under heavy backbeat and rimshot playing.

In 2013 I bought the Ludwig LAP23SS and have used it with my 5" Black Beauty and 5" Reissue Dyna-Sonic. It is without doubt the best snare stand I've ever used. It holds the drum securely, but allows it to freely resonate, and it is so solid when I'm playing it feels like the stand is bolted to the floor. The pillar clutch allows it to break-down into 2 pieces that easily fit into an equipment case.

The only downside is that it's heavy — the heaviest snare stand I've ever come across. That's one of the things I like about it, since it helps keep it firmly anchored to the floor.
How heavy is it?

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the Tama for around three years, and it’s been my favorite snare stand ever. I have bands where I hit HARD and I’ve never once had the stand buckle or move.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you specifically like about the Pearl S1030 snare stand?
I own an older S-2000 and a newer S1030 variant.

The two key things for me on these stands are the "Air Suspension Rubber Tips" and sliding/locking "Adjustable Basket Arms," and if I recall they were the first to offer these features.
  • There are videos on YT showing the benefit of these "air suspension" tips (which most manufacturers now have a variant available), with the improved shell sustain and not choking the drum. I don't care for the Tama design, although the Ludwig looks like it has a few more contours that would probably fit their rims well, I still like the larger Pearl tips.
  • The adjustable arms allow a flatter basket angle so a wider variety of snare diameters can sit squarely in the air suspension tips (think nice 90° angle here between the tips and rims, rather than further rotated/angling where the tips can actually impinge/contact the shell and rim not just the rim). On standard sized snares this probably less of an issue than it is with smaller diameter snares. However, I had snare stands with larger/longer tips that were a little too close to the shell for my liking. I prefer the Pearl variant because I think they have a cleaner design on the adjustable arms/rails. They also have incremental measurements/index marks on the rails as well (nice touch!). I don't really care for the wing nut aesthetics on the arms of the other stands, the Pearl variant use a drum key to lock down the adjustment rails.
The base on these stands are sturdy and don't move around even on my carpeted surfaces that can be a bit springy with carpet and padding. I think all the stands would be sufficient in this area.
There are a few minor difference between the two stands that I own. My S-2000 has the retractable spikes in the feet and a plastic butterfly nut for the basket adjustment. The S-1030 doesn't have the spiked feet and has a metal butterfly nut for the basket adjustment.

I wrote a review for the S-2000 years ago on Amazon, with several HQ photos. It clearly shows a Roland PD-125X snare pad, a standard Ludwig 6.5" x 14", and the more important features of the stand.
Review link (by Hoppy June 5, 2011): https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-S2000-GyroLock-Snare-Stand/dp/B0002F6W5K#customerReviews