Ludwig Bass Drum Mounted Cymbal Arm

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
anyone using the bass drum mounted cymbal arm on a downbeat kit - is it too high for a ride cymbal?
I tend to like my ride low (no higher than the mounted tom) and only at a slight angle towards me

thanks, Tom

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I've always used one on just about every set I own and I love them. Currently I use one with my classic maple Ludwigs with a 22" bass drum. I also have one on a 20" club date bass drum and it's good. I think the smaller the bass drum the easier it is to keep it low. I once had a WFL with a 24" bass drum from around 1949 and I customized a cymbal arm and chopped it down as it was way too high for the ride on a 24" bass drum for me.

I often wondered how that was for John Bonham. He used a 10x14 on a rail mount off of a 26" bass drum as well as the standard sized cymbal arm off the bass drum too. He also sat kind of low and I would think the tom and the ride would have been up pretty high. I'm only 5'5" though so I tend to like to sit high and use a canister throne.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to always use the cymbal arm for my ride, although it seemed a bit high and I had to angle it towards me. Then I changed the positioning of the cymbals I play. I now mount one rack tom [on the left side] plus 2 crash cymbals on top of my bass drum. So I can't use the ride cymbal arm anymore. I simply use a short straight flat base stand for my ride, and it's positioned a few inches below my right side crash.

I did this to reduce the clutter on the ground. Stages have been getting smaller!

Stretch

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wflkurt said:
I've always used one on just about every set I own and I love them. Currently I use one with my classic maple Ludwigs with a 22" bass drum. I also have one on a 20" club date bass drum and it's good. I think the smaller the bass drum the easier it is to keep it low. I once had a WFL with a 24" bass drum from around 1949 and I customized a cymbal arm and chopped it down as it was way too high for the ride on a 24" bass drum for me.

I often wondered how that was for John Bonham. He used a 10x14 on a rail mount off of a 26" bass drum as well as the standard sized cymbal arm off the bass drum too. He also sat kind of low and I would think the tom and the ride would have been up pretty high. I'm only 5'5" though so I tend to like to sit high and use a canister throne.
I've wondered about Bonham as well. There are enough photos out there that it should be fairly easy to determine the dimensions of his set up. I've read he was around 5'10'', so it's interesting to think he was playing such a tall set up with such a low seat, 5"10" not being that great a height. I'm 6' and I don't think I'd be comfortable sitting as low as he did behind such a big kit.

David Canada

Reaction score
I use a bass mounted cymbal arm on my Ludwig downbeat kit. I had the arm mounted a bit further down the side of the drum to make it a couple of inches lower. Jack Lawton, at Lawton Drum, also custom cuts cymbal arms for those wanting them to sit lower on the drum. He does excellent work!!!

Attachments

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom-
I have early 80's 16x24 with dual factory cymbal arms and a rail, it has the original atlas shell mount cymbal holders, and I can mount a 22" ride on there with zero height or stability issues. I sit low and it is in the perfect position.