Ludwig Bass Drum Shell Mount Cymbal Arm

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
question for anyone using the Ludwig L1372 - will it adjust low enough for a ride cymbal? I like my ride to be about even with the height of the highest point of the mounted tom, certainly not any higher. And I only use a slight angle - nothing like in this picture

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In a word? No. At least with 22" or larger bass drums. I've found that they are too tall for me - they're about 18" long. You could always push out the roll pins and cut down with a pipe cutter, but it's a bit of a hassle.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I should add that I once had one on a 20" bass drum and the height was acceptable.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned I'm thinking about this for a 20" bass drum, and also I keep my mounted tom
fairly low, maybe an inch off the top of the bass drum

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
They will work for me on 20" and 22" bass drums if set at their lowest possible setting with a bit of an angle cranked in to lower the playing edge of the cymbal. That's with the bracket mounted in the factory position which is in the center of the 1-2 O'clock panel of the bass drum. If it's a new install you could move the bracket further down the drum to lose a bit more height if you don't mind it not being in the factory position. I have also shortened one of these in order to go lower and that works too. I sometimes use a vintage Slingerland arm and it is maybe a half inch shorter than the standard Ludwig one.

I don't know of any current off the shelf shell mount cymbal arms that will go much lower than the Ludwig and several are taller. Possibly Steve Maxwell's copy of the Rogers swivo arm will go a bit lower (it will fit the Ludwig bracket too). DW makes two versions, the standard one is WAY too tall for a ride cymbal. They make a shorter version but I'm not sure it's any shorter than the Ludwig. The DW would require a different bracket on the bass.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I use them on most all of my drums with no problem at all. 18,20 and 22 inch bass drums included.

R

RickP

DW has two versions of their shell mounted cymbal holder a short version and the longer version . The short version is very short ( shorter than the Ludwig ) and IMHO is better made than the Ludwig cymbal arm .

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rick is correct: the short DW arm is only about 9" tall, IIRC. Much sturdier as well (though there's nothing "vintage" looking about it).

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. said:
They will work for me on 20" and 22" bass drums if set at their lowest possible setting with a bit of an angle cranked in to lower the playing edge of the cymbal. That's with the bracket mounted in the factory position which is in the center of the 1-2 O'clock panel of the bass drum. If it's a new install you could move the bracket further down the drum to lose a bit more height if you don't mind it not being in the factory position. I have also shortened one of these in order to go lower and that works too. I sometimes use a vintage Slingerland arm and it is maybe a half inch shorter than the standard Ludwig one.

I don't know of any current off the shelf shell mount cymbal arms that will go much lower than the Ludwig and several are taller. Possibly Steve Maxwell's copy of the Rogers swivo arm will go a bit lower (it will fit the Ludwig bracket too). DW makes two versions, the standard one is WAY too tall for a ride cymbal. They make a shorter version but I'm not sure it's any shorter than the Ludwig. The DW would require a different bracket on the bass.
Yes, Steve's his does go a bit lower than the Ludwig. Also I believe his tilter can be removed to save a few inches, if one does not desire any tilt. I would prefer to stay with the Ludwig, but if it's too high then I can't use it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just checked my vintage Rogers swivomatic arm against a Ludwig and in the shortest position the Rogers arm is about two inches shorter than the Ludwig, which is pretty significant. Assuming Maxwell's repro is true to the original that might be a good option.

It will fit in the Ludwig bracket so you could have the bass all set up for all Ludwig for "show" but just use the Rogers setup for gigs.

I added one to this new set. I think that's actually the Slingerland arm in the picture, which, as I mentioned above, shaves a bit of height off the Ludwig arm. Although in this instance (20" bass drum on this particular day with this particular cymbal) I didn't use it at its lowest setting. Generally it's with 22" bass drums that things get a bit higher than I like. I think at the next gig I'll try the Rogers.

Attachments

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. said:
I just checked my vintage Rogers swivomatic arm against a Ludwig and in the shortest position the Rogers arm is about two inches shorter than the Ludwig, which is pretty significant. Assuming Maxwell's repro is true to the original that might be a good option.
great, thank you K.O.!
And I'll bet Steve's is true to the original

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. said:

It will fit in the Ludwig bracket so you could have the bass all set up for all Ludwig for "show" but just use the Rogers setup for gigs.

I added one to this new set. I think that's actually the Slingerland arm in the picture, which, as I mentioned above, shaves a bit of height off the Ludwig arm. Although in this instance (20" bass drum on this particular day with this particular cymbal) I didn't use it at its lowest setting. Generally it's with 22" bass drums that things get a bit higher than I like. I think at the next gig I'll try the Rogers.
I love those tubs, brother!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love those tubs, brother!

Thanks Man!

Latest posts