Ludwig Black Beauty advice

harry

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a BB and was wondering if there is any difference in sound between the imperial lugs and the tube lugs? I've been wanting one for years...can't wait to get it.
Thanks

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve never owned both at the same time to be able to compare, but the tube lug ones (in theory) are a bit more open due to less mass on the shell. I have an imperial BB now, sounds great. I’ve had tube lug supras in bronze and brass that sounded equally as good. Can’t go wrong. Get what looks best to you.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My 5x14 came with tubes and I later changed them out for Imperials. I just like the look of them. Depending on the engraving...if you go with a scroll pattern then I'd say go for the tubes. If you are doing the flowers that are just on each panel then I like the imperials.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Not sure if your purchasing new or not but something even more to consider is the rubber gaskets used by Ludwig for more than a few years now. On the Imperial lugs especially they’re huge. I have a 6.5 with tubes and I left the rubber gaskets on cause their small. Looks wise I like the imperials a little more but opted for tubes for just this reason. I think some just remove the gaskets yet another option. Lastly there might even be some YouTube videos on the shell resonance theories.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a bronze 6.5" BB with imperial lugs - looks fine. I have a brass 5" BB with tube lugs - it looks better! I switched the lugs on that one. I wish the tube lugs were slightly larger on the larger drum but they are the same size. As classic as the imperial lugs are, I think they make a 5" too busy. And yes, if you are getting it engraved, I'd go tubes to show off as much as that incredible handiwork as you can.

As for rubber gaskets, to avoid splay on either lug (rods go inward), just switch the Ludwig oversized hoops for any other brand - die cast or regular - and no more splay!

For my next Ludwig, I am looking for a hammered bronze/brass 6.5 w/tube lugs......

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with JazzDrumGuy that Ludwig's tube lugs look a bit out of proportion (too short) on a 6.5" shell. Another thing I've read about here is that you need to be a little more cautious with tube lugs to avoid cross-threading when removing/changing heads.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a BB and was wondering if there is any difference in sound between the imperial lugs and the tube lugs? I've been wanting one for years...can't wait to get it.
Thanks
Congratulations.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since they are so similar I usually go for best used price on a decision like this.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd get whichever you like the looks of more, unless you require the most open, ringy drum possible. The BB is a very resonant drum, so a tad (and it would be a tad) difference in openness isn't going to matter. I have a BB with imperials and gaskets and I still dampen it at least a little bit.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I agree with JazzDrumGuy that Ludwig's tube lugs look a bit out of proportion (too short) on a 6.5" shell. Another thing I've read about here is that you need to be a little more cautious with tube lugs to avoid cross-threading when removing/changing heads.
^^^ This. Ludwig should have updated the brass tube lugs for the 6.5" many years ago, but haven't. I don't like the look of them on a 6.5". Plus, tube lugs have zero tolerance for movement when inserting the rod, hence the easily cross-threading.
Plus, I've always loved the Imperial lug.

TomPotti

Reaction score
I also recently acquired a new BB.

How do you guys like the stock ludwig heads?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like coated Emperors on top and hazy Ambassadors on bottom. Pure tone and slightly diminishes ring. I like Ludwig heads on Jazz Fests only.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
How do you guys like the stock ludwig heads?
Ludwig heads are super popular here, especially the snare side ones. I'm not crazy about the Ludwig batters though myself-- too thin. I believe the regular weight Ludwig is more like a Diplomat and the "heavy" is more like an Ambassador though?

skelt101

Reaction score
Ludwig heads are super popular here, especially the snare side ones. I'm not crazy about the Ludwig batters though myself-- too thin. I believe the regular weight Ludwig is more like a Diplomat and the "heavy" is more like an Ambassador though?
From everything I've read, this is correct. Ludwig Medium=Diplomat and Ludwig Heavy=Ambassador. I've had a Ludwig COB for a few years now and use the stock heads. Just recently switched to a Heavy batter. Sounds great! The coating seems more durable than Remo too. Unfortunately, it appears Ludwig has drastically reduced their head offerings, now focusing exclusively on snare sizes.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm always surprised how many like Remo's on Ludwig snares. They never work for me they just about bottom out before I get them tuned and have no rim height above the head which is important for playing cross-stick. I like Ludwig's snare side head with an Aquarian Texture coated reverse dot on the batter. The Ludwig Batter heads feel stiff to me. I guess it's what ever you get used to, been using Aquarian for a long time.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would imagine that the tubes on the drum would add some ring to the drum as well, if you are looking for a less ringy drum then consider the Imperials. On an unrelated note a buddy of mine swapped the Bow tie lugs on a Blacrolite for Imperial lugs and he said the drum rang like crazy. He swapped back, but I thought that was pretty odd. Has anyone ever compared the Bow tie lugs to the tubes or Imperials?

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I'm always surprised how many like Remo's on Ludwig snares. They never work for me they just about bottom out before I get them tuned and have no rim height above the head which is important for playing cross-stick.
Remo heads have always had that deep collar. It's silly. I gave up on them years ago and switched to Aquarian.