Ludwig Black Beauty question (with a dent)

matchgrip

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So finally I saved up enough to buy my first good snare. I was checking on Supras and BBs and I have found this BB (14x6.5) from a jazz drummer friend who recently got full endorsement with Gretsch so he's selling his Ludwigs.

He gave me a good price for a BB (550 euro), the only thing that concerns me is that the snare has a big bent on it. He told me that it didn't change the sound in a bad way at all and that I'm welcomed to check it myself (which I will do when I go to my hometown to get it)

But I wanted to ask the experts here. What do you guys think? Do you think I shouldn't buy it or do you think it's not much of a problem? (aesthetically I don't have any issue with it, all I'm concerned is the sound)

Here are the photos of the snare, I appreciate any answers, thank you already!!

And here's a video of it:

P.S. there are small mods in the snare, like the hoops(die cast) and the wire are black and the throw-off has been replaced with a p-86.

Attachments

matchgrip

Reaction score
Hey! Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately in Europe, second hand BB's start from a price range of 700 euro and more. Especially 6.5'' ones are more than 800 euro.

Never seen one under 650 so far even tho I've been checking for a long time.

What I could do is that I could instead go for a second hand Supra, then I could even save some of that money. :scratch:

1988fxlr

Reaction score
If it sounds good it wouldn’t put me off it if its a good deal where you are. I would ask to take the top hoop of and check that another head will seat easily.

Phildrummer

Reaction score
I would try to negotiate down a bit (like 450-500), then get it repaired. A good coppersmith can do that easily. In a worst case scenario, you're left with damaged nickel coating only. (which is also within repair). Btw. it seems to have die-cast rims too!

matchgrip

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I decided to pass on that like many of you suggested.

I guess I'll keep looking :)

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Once all hardware is removed and the outside of shell is rested on a surface, a carefully placed strike or three with a plastic dead blow hammer should remove most of that dent.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Once all hardware is removed and the outside of shell is rested on a surface, a carefully placed strike or three with a plastic dead blow hammer should remove most of that dent.
The challenge with a Ludwig shell, unlike the one you show here, is the center bead. I have hammered out a few, but it’s a time consuming and slow-moving process to get it right.

I have posted this one before, it was dropped on the butt end pretty badly and I would say I got out about 90-95% of the damage.

B9AC3AFF-108E-49AA-B72D-950CF88F3DCE.jpeg
4B14AAFF-90E1-49DE-9B0F-AA6D934CE419.jpeg
B0C46C85-F353-4D97-BCC1-7746E8DCF58F.jpeg

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That dent should be able to come out with the use of a rubber mallet...I have 4 different sizes of them and using a towel as a cushion between the mallet and the inside of the shell. It can be done with patience and attention.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brass Instrument repair shops would also use a marble rolled back and forth in various directions with pressure over the area to remove dents . It is extremely time consuming but it will get out all of the dent.

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Understood.
In the video it looked like the dent was above the bead