Ludwig Black Beauty Super Sensitive

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 5x14 1970's Ludwig Black Beauty on its way to me and I am hoping to have it in my possession by the end of week, assuming UPS cooperates.

I have never had a BB before.

What type of heads and wires do you fine folks use on yours? I have used Evans Genera dry heads with the small holes around the perimeter on my 70's 6.5x14 and 5x14 Pearl Jupiter snares. They seem to eliminate some ring. I have a regular emperor on my 14x5 Gretsch COB.

I mostly play classic rock, 70's pop and a little country.

Any insight into heads and wires (type, number of wires, etc.) would be appreciated.

***EDIT: The drum is here. It turns out it is a Black Beauty Super Sensitive snare. It is missing the bottom hoop and the SS mechanism entirely. I bought it based off of one not so great picture of it stacked on top of other drums from a couple of states away. I intentionally didn't ask a lot of questions figuring if the drum was what I thought it was there wasn't any downside to the purchase unless it was dented all to heck, and even then based on the condition of the other drums, I was willing to roll the dice and take a gamble for the amount I paid for it thinking I could add a throwoff and hoop easily. I didn't think about it being a SS. I have never played one, but have always been intrigued with the idea of one.

Anyone have a complete SS mechanism or know if Reproductions are available?

Thanks!

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 5 x 14 Black Beauty I have settled on a Remo Coated CS batter head (preferably with the white dot ) , Ludwig X-thin snare side head and Canopus Vintage snare wires .
the Canopus wires make a huge improvement to an already great sounding drum .
D7D0B100-CF91-4E1D-B033-0E6F3CF74E1B.jpeg

digovii

Reaction score
Amassador, CS dot, or emperor coated for batter. Ambassador hazy for reso. 12, 16, or 20 strand wires. Any combo of those will get you a great sound. Good era of BB’s too. Those shells are special.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm late to the party!
Based on my drumhead experimentation, the best heads for pretty much any Ludwig snare are the factory heads. On a 5x14, I'd go with the Weathermaster medium batter & Weathermaster clear snare side for the reso. Something about them is just perfect; The sound and the feel is as if it was specifically made for those drums. Another recent fantastic head that I've discovered for the batter side is the Aquarian Triple threat. I was intrigued with the existence of a three ply head and can't believe how good is sounds and feels. Despite the fact that it's 21 mil. in thickness, it's incredibly similar to the Ludwig Weathermaster Heavy.
Enjoy your BB!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm late to the party!
Based on my drumhead experimentation, the best heads for pretty much any Ludwig snare are the factory heads. On a 5x14, I'd go with the Weathermaster medium batter & Weathermaster clear snare side for the reso. Something about them is just perfect; The sound and the feel is as if it was specifically made for those drums. Another recent fantastic head that I've discovered for the batter side is the Aquarian Triple threat. I was intrigued with the existence of a three ply head and can't believe how good is sounds and feels. Despite the fact that it's 21 mil. in thickness, it's incredibly similar to the Ludwig Weathermaster Heavy.
Enjoy your BB!
I never heard of the Aquarian triple ply head. Thanks.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 5x14 1970's Ludwig Black Beauty on its way to me and I am hoping to have it in my possession by the end of week, assuming UPS cooperates.

I have never had a BB before.

What type of heads and wires do you fine folks use on yours? I have used Evans Genera dry heads with the small holes around the perimeter on my 70's 6.5x14 and 5x14 Pearl Jupiter snares. They seem to eliminate some ring. I have a regular emperor on my 14x5 Gretsch COB.

I mostly play classic rock, 70's pop and a little country.

Any insight into heads and wires (type, number of wires, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I have a beater/user 5-incher BB from Craigslist for 30 bucks. Most of the black is worn off. Mostly brass now. Needed some work and a noticable dent was worked out at the body shop down the road. My 15 year-old niece in Wisconsin has it with her Catalina kit. I want it back!! That bastard sings with clear Ambos on both sides! Wide-body Tama 42 wires below. I've also got the 6.5 Bronze Beauty and it jumps with an Evans Coated G2 and a Remo Diplo on bottom! Wide-body Tama 42 wires down below. Bottom line, you're in mighty good company when you get yer' dirty sticks regardless of heads you put on it. Something to be said about them metal snares the Luddies put out.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 5 x 14 Black Beauty I have settled on a Remo Coated CS batter head (preferably with the white dot ) , Ludwig X-thin snare side head and Canopus Vintage snare wires .
the Canopus wires make a huge improvement to an already great sounding drum .
View attachment 519628
Yo'! Make the picture smaller! I tried to steal that drum! Damn thing wouldn't fit through my stinkin' lap-top's screen!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I edited the original post as the drum is a 5x14 Super Sensitive Black Beauty and I need some parts help.
I could always put a regular throwoff and but plated on it and enjoy it that way, but if I can find the original assembly it could be more fun.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If in a similar position I’d strongly consider finding a deal on a rather flaky (Ludaloy) similar year super sensitive and harvest the parts.