Ludwig Black Galaxy Sparkle bass drum shell project

A_T_P

Reaction score
Just want to share my latest project with a painted 60’s Ludwig black galaxy sparkle bass drum shell. Came with one hoop with original inlay.

Somewhat thick black paint with white painted strips underneath every 4 inches or so.

Decided to try wet sanding to begin, and boy I’m glad I did! A light 120 grit turned out to be the perfect starting point. I’ll probably wet sand with some finer grits once the paint is removed, then a light novus 2 polish.

I’ll post photos when all done! Hoping to be done this weekend. This may be my new favorite Ludwig finish.

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
That's exciting. Nice job so far. Looks like plenty of color still left in the sparkles! Good luck!

Mike

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just want to share my latest project with a painted 60’s Ludwig black galaxy sparkle bass drum shell. Came with one hoop with original inlay.

Somewhat thick black paint with white painted strips underneath every 4 inches or so.

Decided to try wet sanding to begin, and boy I’m glad I did! A light 120 grit turned out to be the perfect starting point. I’ll probably wet sand with some finer grits once the paint is removed, then a light novus 2 polish.

I’ll post photos when all done! Hoping to be done this weekend. This may be my new favorite Ludwig finish.
What a wonderful and challenging job you have taken on with wonderful results! People did all kinds of strange mods to these drums back in the day...thank goodness, the wrap wasn't damaged....I look forward to seeing the end result...is the interior painted black too?
Chris

A_T_P

Reaction score
There’s Black Sparkle that has the silver in it, and then there’s Galaxy Sparkling Pearl which is what you have. Mlayton posted a nice pic. Here’s another.
Have fun w/your project and enjoy!
View attachment 488485
That’s a beautiful floor tom you have there! I’ll set my expectations for this bass drum to come out like that

A_T_P

Reaction score
What a wonderful and challenging job you have taken on with wonderful results! People did all kinds of strange mods to these drums back in the day...thank goodness, the wrap wasn't damaged....I look forward to seeing the end result...is the interior painted black too?
Chris
Thank you very much! I love projects like this..thankfully the inside is still (assumably) factory white, with exception to the bearing edges. If anyone know “Macdonald from 82”, let me know

Attachments

A_T_P

Reaction score
Wet-sanding’s going well, but after you do a quick novus polish you really find out where you neglected to sand. Those aren’t glares, those are streaks I didn’t sand well enough. But hey! It’s gettin’ there.

Attachments