Ludwig Black Magic Snare Brass?

XDrums

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this post and I'm curious if you think this is the brass model? Description says 14"x8" nothing about being brass. Or is it the black nickel hardware with die cast hoops? I don't know if the badge identifies it. I can't tell, sure looks like the brass one?

Attachments

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
According to the Ludwig website, that Black Magic snare is a "Beaded Black Nickel over Brass Shell w/ Matching Die Cast Hoops and Tube-Lugs."

XDrums

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess some have chrome hardware some don’t. Trying to figure out difference price wise.

XDrums

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Music Go Round in Virginia Beach has this one for $259. Great Price! I figure with $50 shipping it's not worth it for me.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I love mine!
My only gripe is the smallish screws on the strainer & butt. They work fine & take a standard key but are definitely on the small side.
Do it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a big brass snare with die casts for $300-ish.....not bad. I don't need one that size, though.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Music Go Round in Virginia Beach has this one for $259. Great Price! I figure with $50 shipping it's not worth it for me.
I disagree. I just sold the same drum with the die cast hoops for $375. This drum at $309 shipped is a great deal.

The difference in these drums is that Ludwig decided in 2019 that they were going to stop offering the all-black hardware and die cast hoops setup and settle for chrome hardware and triple flanged hoops. They were selling the die cast hoop version for $399-450 and the triple flange version is now 299-350. So the advantage you may have in this case is that the store is looking at the price of a new drum and seeing ~300, so they figure they need to ask less than that. I had to explain to several potential buyers of my drum that if they bought the newer version and wanted to buy all black hardware plus die cast hoops, they would be into it for almost $500.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 14 x 8 Black Magic Signature Jim Riley snare that is a stainless steel shell.
Jim Riley signature snare 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: