Ludwig Blue/Olive Badges with Serial Number from 917000 to 1291000 - Pictures Wanted

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have written an article about why so many Ludwig drums are identified as being made in 1976. This is because back in 2005, Rob Cook was given some information which I believe was inaccurate which he used when he developed the first serial number-based dating guide for 1970s Ludwig drums. I would like to have some pictures of badges with serial numbers in the 917000 to 1291000 range to accompany that article. I have two from the high end of this range but would appreciate getting a few pictures from other points in the spread. The purpose is to include them when the article appears in Not So Modern Drummer. I will therefore need original pictures taken by you (not ones copied from posts on the internet or ebay) and I would need your permission to republish them in NSMD.

Please send them to: rick@GretschDrumDatingGuide.com

Thanks for any help.

The article is already on my website - www.gretschdrumdatingguide.com

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm glad you are writing this. So many people use the 1976 date which I know is wrong. The other one that gets messed up is the 77xxxx numbers on B/O badge drums. People always call those 1969 and I have seen many with dates in early 1970. Maybe the numbers changed in 1969 but certainly doesn't mean that those boxes of badges were used first if a massive run of badges was made up. That's another story for another article though.

I may have plenty of collected pictures from over the years but I understand that you want to get them from people that actually own the drums and that's cool.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I may have plenty of collected pictures from over the years but I understand that you want to get them from people that actually own the drums and that's cool.
I am going to republish the pictures in NSMD, so will need permission of the actual owner of the picture to do so. Just doing my part to honor the copyrights of drum owners.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's some you can use.
The ones on the Chrome O' Wood set are from my set I bought in 1975. I bought it slightly used when the original buyer defaulted on his installment plan after a couple of months. It had been in the music store window for quite some time prior to that, perhaps over a year. I wouldn't be surprised if these drums were made in 1973 and, if not, almost certainly sometime in 1974. I took possession in November of 1975 so they can't be newer than that. The other three drums from that set have similar numbers but would be a bit harder to dig out at the moment.

I do not have a timeline on the Mod Orange tom.

COW serial 1.jpg
COW serial 2.jpg
MO serial.jpg

I'll email these to you as well. If you need more I can dig out the Psychedelic Red set too. I forgot about those when I took these photos. It should fall into the same range (1971 date stamps).

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
KO
I think those might be earlier than 73’
I have a 73’-74’ with 130xxxx numbers
I would think 71-72.
I also have a 70’ kit with 786xxx
So should be somewhere in between.
Surprisingly I have no numbers to help out Rick

Wayne

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The unused B/O badge that I have is serial numbered 162XXXX and was taken from the parts bin at the badge workstation during a factory tour in the fall of 1976.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Green Vistalite snare. I was told it was from 1973, which seems consistent. You have my permission to use this photo.

Green Vistalite Snare 3.jpg

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi-
The first four are from a 74’ Mach 5 blue silk kit. Picture 5 is another blue silk kick from 74’. Picture 6 is a 73’ snare.
Hope this helps!
Let me know when you want the early 80’s round corner blue olive, lots of them!

Attachments

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rsq911, thanks for all the pictures.

I think I have more than enough for use with the NSMD article. Thanks to all who provided pictures. I had two drums that fit the profile.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have owned many in that range, but none right now! Looking forward to seeing your article.

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
I have 1758241 - what year would this fall under (no date stamp)?
It's an LM400 I purchased used several years ago - sounds wonderful.
THe previous owner decided to etch his initials and year of birth into the badge...
20200928_092414.jpg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
The unused B/O badge that I have is serial numbered 162XXXX and was taken from the parts bin at the badge workstation during a factory tour in the fall of 1976.

There certainly is no disputing this one! Lol

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Rick-do you have all the pics you need now or still taking some?

Mike

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 1758241 - what year would this fall under (no date stamp)?
It's an LM400 I purchased used several years ago - sounds wonderful.
THe previous owner decided to etch his initials and year of birth into the badge...
Based upon my approach, I estimate that this is from about 1978.