Ludwig brass or other snares to trade for hammered bronze

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey friends,
I am looking for a Ludwig hammered bronze snare (Supra, not Super Sensitive) in either 5 or 6.5x14.

I have other snares to trade:
- DW copper Collector's series 6.5x14 (https://www.drumforum.org/threads/dw-collector’s-copper-snare-6-5x14-lowered-price.184115/)
- Ludwig black on brass millennium Black Beauty 6.5x14
- Ludwig Classic Maple 6.5x14 red oyster (https://www.drumforum.org/threads/ludwig-classic-maple-6-5x14-snare-in-red-oyster.186533/)
- Ludwig 70s Blue-Olive badge Supraphonic LM400 (https://www.drumforum.org/threads/nice-70s-ludwig-supraphonic.177381/)
- Ludwig smooth brass Super model 5x14, new condition (I prefer to keep this one)

I also have a few cymbals available:
- Bosphorus 22" Turk thin ride
- Bosphorus 22" Syncopation SW ride
- Dream Bliss 20” ride

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a hammered brass and hammered bronze Ludwig 6.5 to compare, and found maybe a 2% difference, with the bronze being a touch darker. Not to dissuade you in your search, but just to give you some info so you don’t feel like you are missing out.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a hammered brass and hammered bronze Ludwig 6.5 to compare, and found maybe a 2% difference, with the bronze being a touch darker. Not to dissuade you in your search, but just to give you some info so you don’t feel like you are missing out.
Very true - not an extreme amount of difference in sound. I was able to directly A/B my non-hammered 6.5" Black Beauty with my non-hammered 6.5" Bronze Beauty, and there was surprisingly little difference, with the Bronze being a tad darker. Sustain was comparable. Once the band's playing, you'd never hear the difference.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I totally get that, guys. But it’s a hole in my collection! Somehow I’ve ended up wanting a variety of Ludwig metal snares and I have a lot of them covered. Now for some reason I’ve ended up with a ton of brass snares and only one bronze so far (smooth shell). Looking for the hammered bronze to complete the group…at least until I decide to buy something else lol!

russgold

Reaction score
I totally get that, guys. But it’s a hole in my collection! Somehow I’ve ended up wanting a variety of Ludwig metal snares and I have a lot of them covered. Now for some reason I’ve ended up with a ton of brass snares and only one bronze so far (smooth shell). Looking for the hammered bronze to complete the group…at least until I decide to buy something else lol!
Way bigger difference in hammered to non-hammered, I found. I had a hammered black beauty and ended up selling it because I couldn’t get enough clarity.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Way bigger difference in hammered to non-hammered, I found. I had a hammered black beauty and ended up selling it because I couldn’t get enough clarity.
That’s cool, and I do have a smooth shell bronze now. So I’m trying to get the hammered version.