Ludwig brass tuber on Ebay

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok so this drum is now in my hands and I am more confused now than ever. There is NOTHING white about this drum, if anything it looks GOLD. I took the top head off and the inside is some kind of goldish hue. My first thought is somebody buffed to brass and painted the drum gold, but under the head looks different to me. I’m not very good at color recognition so maybe someone here can help. Ludwig IS stamped to the left of the throw off but it’s very faint. Hard to tell if this was nickel plated or otherwise. Here are a few pics.
E0C018BF-2B81-4B0B-A05E-7846659A0478.jpeg
CEABA08F-1586-4D2F-BED2-FDF32E286520.jpeg
9CC40196-A04C-436F-9211-323E4D8D3E21.jpeg
CFB31E62-115C-46AD-927B-940C58B864FE.jpeg
D19CCEBD-5955-4001-B43E-21561ED9AFAC.jpeg
031D53F1-731C-4C68-9EC8-27DED000F4AC.jpeg

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you haven’t already done so, consider writing Mike Curotto.
Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to wait until I had the drum first before taking the next step. I just changed the top head to an Ambassdor and it sounds/plays like an old 2-pc Ludwig should, very clean and articulate as well.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're going to use it as a player, I'd suggest getting some new-build clips for it, and stash the old away. Those old clips don't hold up to moderately tight tensioning (I learned the hard way).
Thanks Ron, looks like a good alternative. The drum is on its way to Mike Curotto right now. It feels like I’m sending the drum out for DNA testing ;)

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike worked on my 1929 Deluxe earlier this year. I’m grateful he is so generous with his knowledge and talents.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, get some new brass clips. That'll keep the old ones and you can tune away without fear of breaking the old ones. I've done on my 3x15 and my 4x 14.
The 3x15 is just a monster.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok so this drum is now in my hands and I am more confused now than ever. There is NOTHING white about this drum, if anything it looks GOLD. I took the top head off and the inside is some kind of goldish hue. My first thought is somebody buffed to brass and painted the drum gold, but under the head looks different to me. I’m not very good at color recognition so maybe someone here can help. Ludwig IS stamped to the left of the throw off but it’s very faint. Hard to tell if this was nickel plated or otherwise. Here are a few pics.View attachment 419042View attachment 419043View attachment 419044View attachment 419045View attachment 419046View attachment 419047
Hi Scott-

This is what the finish on mine looks like... EXCEPT.... mine is white on the inside and has what appear to be gold plated hoops. The hoops are what confused Steve Maxwell, he mentioned the white enamel but mine wouldn't have had the gold unmatched hoops. Anyway... I ended up putting an old brass triple flanged on top but had to file the holes to fit because the lugs were so off with the drilling/spacing. But I digress.

Interested to know about yours..

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Scott-

This is what the finish on mine looks like... EXCEPT.... mine is white on the inside and has what appear to be gold plated hoops. The hoops are what confused Steve Maxwell, he mentioned the white enamel but mine wouldn't have had the gold unmatched hoops. Anyway... I ended up putting an old brass triple flanged on top but had to file the holes to fit because the lugs were so off with the drilling/spacing. But I digress.

Interested to know about yours..
We'll see what Mike says, he should have it by next weekend.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So-this drum has been in the hands of the legendary Mike Curotto for a couple of days now and he thinks that it is...........a Ludwig and Ludwig All Gold Model! Because the outer lacquer of the shell has deteriorated so much there are spots on the shell where the gold has worn off. With that said, he is going to do a full restoration (parts and shell) for me and it will look good again. I’m glad that I took the chance on this one, because I really am trying to stop buying snares. It should be ready in a couple weeks and I will post the pics of the finished project.

Latest posts