Ludwig Breakbeats

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed playing this Ludwig Breakbeats kit since I bought it a few months back. However, last night was the first time I played it in a full band setting. I was VERY impressed with how it held up. The guys I jammed with were equally impressed, and spoke about how good it sounded for a "little" kit. They were blown away with the sound of the 16 inch kick drum. Needless to say, I will be using this kit more for small gigs and jams like I did last night.

IMG_20190511_174834_302.jpg

IMG_20190512_080556_338.jpg

Stickclick

Reaction score
My friend plays that same kit. He put pinstripe heads on it also. He's been gigging with that kit for years. He has other kits but the Breakbeats is his gigging kit.

stuart s

Reaction score
My 9.5 yr old has this set, its soo good I play it too. The Toms have Coated Emperors, Snare has Vintage Coated Emperor and added an internal Ludwig Tone Control. Bass is fine stock, just need to tune it right. Ride PST 7, 10" PST 7 Splash, 14" PST 5 Thin Crash, Signature Sound Edge top on a PST 7 bottom High Hats.

IMG_0051.JPG

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everything considered, I think the Breakbeats are the best thing currently going for a best-bang-for-buck kit with 16" BD. The only negative I've heard from anyone is that the BD riser sucks.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had no issues with my riser. I did follow drum tech Kenny Sharretts' tuning advice for these kits that he has on YouTube

stuart s

Reaction score
I've had no issues with my riser. I did follow drum tech Kenny Sharretts' tuning advice for these kits that he has on YouTube
I ignored his videos and did my own thing, New Aquarian or Evans bass batter heads are unnecessary and cutting holes on the resonant is going to make the drum sound less fuller. The Emperors on the toms/snare and tone control on the snare made the whole kit sound so much better.

The riser is fine for us, but it depends on the pedal you use.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I often use my Tama Metro Jam kit (essentially the same dimensions as the Breakbeat) in local bar gigs with a classic rock band. I messed around with the bass drum until I discovered a Remo clear PS4 did the trick for me (with some styro peanuts thrown in to reduce the ring somewhat). I use either clear Pinstripes or Evans EC2s or smooth white MXT batters with clear CS heads on the bottom. Snare is my go-to Blacro. With a mic on the kick, it does the job quite nicely. Photos from last night's gig.

IMG_9622.JPG

IMG_9620.JPG

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I had Breakbeats at one time and used them on certain types of gigs. I did like the sound of them but I sold them to DFO member drummer.
I missed having drums that size and now have Pearl Midtowns which to me produce a superior sound.
As much as I've never liked the looks of Pearl's bass drum double tom mounts I find that I don't mind the single mount.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the Yamaha Manu Katche' kit which is essentially the same sizes as the Questlove kit. I traded my Manu kit for the Q-love kit, but it just never did it for me. Don't get me wrong, it sounded good, just not compared to the Yamahas. So I ended up selling the Questlove kit and finding another Manu kit. Of course your mileage may vary.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
We did an outdoor gig at a street faire in April. Many bands over many stages. One of the guys had a white Breakbeats kit and the bass was miked - it thumped just fine. He had nice cymbals and a Black Beauty and the kit sounded like a "huge" kit.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I mainly use mine at one particular bar where the "stage" is only about 4.5 feet deep and maybe 10-12 feet wide. I'm squeezed into a corner, which fortunately has a door to the beer/ice stock room right behind where I set my throne. Since these pics I've added a mini boom arm in the tom holder for the ride and put a crash in that flat base stand. With the concrete floor, narrow building design, and high ceilings, this kit sounds huge. I have an internal mic in the bass drum to add a little more low end, too. The previous owner kept the stock resos, but put coated G2's on the toms. I eventually broke and replaced the bass drum head with one that came with my Gretsch kit, and added a muffling ring, center dot and impact patch cut from the old head. Reso is a Remo fiberskyn or something like that. I tune them about as deep as they'll go and keep a ringing note.

I keep the bass drum and two toms in a rolling bag that fits them perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Tom-Wheels-Protec-Model-CP200WL/dp/B004YHAYC4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=multi+drum+bag&qid=1557868776&s=gateway&sr=8-3

The last pic is our baby announcement before our son was born. That's all three of my kits, before my buddy semi-permanently loaned me a Rogers kit.

IMG_20130609_175125_239-1.jpg20140718_195145_LLS.jpgBaby announcement 3.jpg

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kits in those sizes are great real world gigging kits. Foolishly sold my Hipgigs. Put some orphans I had in 10/13/20 together. I do prefer the 20” bass to the 16, but I was doing fine with the 16. Become my normal kit. 86B87930-EF6F-489E-9CC6-3D6133C8E10F.jpeg

Maggot

Reaction score
I have a Breakbeats kit. I like it a lot. I put a port in the resonant head of the bass drum and put a Superkick I on it, because I was burying the beater and getting tabla sounds. Now it sounds more stable but less resonant. I have a lot of fun on it. I'm also in a band where I don't play drums and the drummer plays em. She likes them too. I put some washers between the different halves of the bass drum riser, and now I have no problems.

davidh

Reaction score
I have had a set for about a year now and not gigged anything but these since, with an Acrolite and good cymbals. No issues with the riser using a Tama HP 50 pedal, and Tama classic stands.
I put good heads on Evans EC2 clear over Genera Resos and EQ4 clear bass batter with EQ3 smooth unported on the front. I love the sound and the overall lower volume that suits the jazz quartet I play with just right, also the small places we play in. I tried the Pearl Midtown but they were too clangy and timbale-like. These have a scaled down mini-downbeat look that many people remark on. A good design and also so cheap you can pimp them up - and the fancy heads do make a huge difference to what was already good enough to go.

IMG_2146.JPG

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's face it the bars are getting smaller and smaller these kind of kits are great. I've been enjoying my Ludwig Gig-Lite with shallow bass and toms. Think I finally got the 5x10 tom tuned. They almost sound like electronic drums in that it's a short controlled eq'd sound. Only problem is they are ebony shadow finished...I'm not changing my name either ;)

Latest posts