Ludwig Breakbeats

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone else playing them!

Here’s my set up: Standard Breakbeats with a Blackrolite snare, 14 inch hats, 17 and 19 inch crashes, 21 inch ride, and 19 inch holy china.

8F8978A7-0244-4982-B047-F5C79F8C9645.jpeg

30550412-A247-484E-AAA2-14DA0F39641B.jpeg

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have that same set. I did a trade for it, and I would gig with it. It did have a few quality control problems, mainly with the tension rods. When I got the snare drum, 2 of the tension rods were so jammed in place that I had to remove the heads and lugs and cut the tension rods with a hacksaw. I replaced the rods and swivel nuts and the drum actually sounds decent. As a result of that I removed all the tension rods and ran them through a 12/24 die and cleaned up all the threads - some of them were really bad. Now that I've done that, it's a nice portable kit that looks nice as well. I have a cymbal arm that I would use for the ride that fits the tom holder, so I could get by with one cymbal stand.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone else playing them!

Here’s my set up: Standard Breakbeats with a Blackrolite snare, 14 inch hats, 17 and 19 inch crashes, 21 inch ride, and 19 inch holy china.

View attachment 454931

View attachment 454934
They had one on the floor at GC set up with Pinstripes all the way around. Sounded great, but, the BD riser design didn’t allow the pedal sprocket to clear the BD hoop. They had the pedal resting on the floor next to the riser.

Also, apparently, blue sparkle is no longer offered.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a kit. It was a bit problematic to tune in the beginning. I told him to check the edges and they were all over the place so he had the kit re-edged by a pro. Sounds great now.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I gig with my blue sparkle kit at venues with smaller stages. Mine was used and the previous owner had Evans G2s on them which I left on. They sound good to me so why change them? As with every kit I have, I put isolation feet on the floor tom legs and that little 13" drum sounds nice, plus I put a mic inside the bass drum for a little more oomph.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A venue here has these as a house kit and I played them a few times. I found that the floor tom was particularly hard to tune but otherwise the kit was very playable.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use one at my singers house in my Petty band for rehearsal. It works and saves me time.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had one on the floor at GC set up with Pinstripes all the way around. Sounded great, but, the BD riser design didn’t allow the pedal sprocket to clear the BD hoop. They had the pedal resting on the floor next to the riser.

Also, apparently, blue sparkle is no longer offered.
When I had mine I solved that with spacers and a longer bolt.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold mine to a local forum member and bought a Pearl Midtown set. I think they sound better, have a cutaway in the hoop and a better riser.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I sold mine to a local forum member and bought a Pearl Midtown set. I think they sound better, have a cutaway in the hoop and a better riser.
And wood bass hoops and much better claws. I strongly recommend the Midtown -- there's nothing else in the "micro kit" range at this price point close to it. (UPDATE: it looks like the 2020 Breakbeats have die-cast claws as well, bu they still have the metal BD hoops)