Ludwig Bronze/Brass Identification?

veggo32

Reaction score
P1010025.JPG P1010027.JPG P1010031.JPG
Hi-
It’s 3154353
Thanks, now I'm a bit closer to actually "dating" my Bronze Black Beauty.
I''m really enjoying this snare. it just has that thwap that doesn't quit and the tuning range is ridiculous. It sounds great tuned up or down and t's a very versatile drum.
I don't think I would need to look to the 6.5 version as this 14x5 can go very deep and sound like a much deeper drum.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
On my bronze BB, I have triple flange brass hoops which give it too much ring. I think I am going to go back to die casts to cut the ring and give me the fundamental woody bronze tone. On my bronze Supra, though, triple flange chrome hoops work just fine....odd......

veggo32

Reaction score
On my bronze BB, I have triple flange brass hoops which give it too much ring. I think I am going to go back to die casts to cut the ring and give me the fundamental woody bronze tone. On my bronze Supra, though, triple flange chrome hoops work just fine....odd......
You have nothing to lose by experimenting with the die cast. Maybe you'll come back to triple flange down the line? maybe not.
I noticed in its sweet spot it is a bit ringy but I don't mind it, at least its musical sounding. If you tune it up a bit higher it starts to dry out a bit but in a good way.

Pepins

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I am Belgian and I come to you because I have today Ludwig snare "bronze"? which at the base was the subject of a supersensituve that was modified in Supra-Phonic ..

The letter "B" is on the barrel but inverted too ..

Will someone have detailed information to help me?

Thank you :)
:)

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like a post-1984 drum...
I've taken some screen shots of several of the Ludwig catalogs over the years featuring that type of drum for your reference.

Ludwig_BZ_1982.JPG
Ludwig_BZ_1984.JPG
Ludwig_BZ_1988.JPG
Ludwig_BZ_1994.JPG

MikeyP

Reaction score
Hello old thread. Just to add to this. I bought my hammered "brass" supra 6.5 in 1992; I was told it was brass, however, it is bronze I believe. Can someone confirm from looking? Just backing up what Jazzdrumguy stated, mine has the supersensitive holes but is set up with standard wires. The serial is 325xxxx. It has the reverse B above the tone dial. It was a little aged when I bought it, so I believe it was a late 80s model. I will attach photos. Happy NY. Mike

I have an idea, can one of you elder Ludwig wizards set up a Gofund me and get a PHD on this subject? Seems that there is a gap in info on the between the 70s-90s. Maybe someone needs to be paid to interview the factory guys and girls before they pass. Is there an up to date source on the dark ages of Ludwig serials?

Attachments

MikeyP

Reaction score
That looks like hammered brass and tarnished a bit. I need better pics of the inside and bearing edge.
Cool- really? I'll add a few more. So, to clear it up- brass oxidises and turned a bit green and bronze not? A previous poster claimed the opposite. I know that bronze should corrode much less as it's used on ships etc. Thanks in advance ;) Pics below

Attachments

MikeyP

Reaction score
If it is brass, then I'm even more confused about the bronze/brass dating issue. I guess, the snare could have been a 91 or so. I bought/traded it in a second hand drum warehouse, so provenance was not assured. This snare has seen a few gigs, so it's been through quite a bit as you can see. These photos were from a strip down from a few years ago. The snare is with one of my kits at a friend's house atm.
Cheers,
Mike

MikeyP

Reaction score
If it is brass, then I'm even more confused about the bronze/brass dating issue. I guess, the snare could have been a 91 or so. I bought/traded it in a second hand drum warehouse, so provenance was not assured. This snare has seen a few gigs, so it's been through quite a bit as you can see. These photos were from a strip down from a few years ago. The snare is with one of my kits at a friend's house atm.
Cheers,
Mike
One more pic I found. Apologies for the newbie machine-gun posts :)

Attachments

MikeyP

Reaction score
The dark lip and inside shell (pics 4/5/7) makes me 99.9% sure it's bronze.......
Cheers! I should get a test one day but I think the dating and visual evidence suggests bronze. It sure is an almighty snare. I will never sell- it has an incredible dynamic range. Maybe I'll have to get a brass 6.5 to compare one day ;) Thanks again!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You've certainly got a Bz shell there. These things have a pretty high copper content which makes them readily identifiable.
I brought mine to work and did a PMI test and the material composition was 88.7% Cu / 10.21% Zn. My earlier Black Beauty (~'79/'80) is 64% Cu / 31% Ni / 5% Zi, which pushes the alloy into "German Silver" "Cupronickel" territory, and despite this much copper it is not yellow but silver in appearance.

I'd be curious to see what the Ludwig "CopperPhonic" PMI result would be.

Andrew Linnemann

Reaction score
Hello old thread. Just to add to this. I bought my hammered "brass" supra 6.5 in 1992; I was told it was brass, however, it is bronze I believe. Can someone confirm from looking? Just backing up what Jazzdrumguy stated, mine has the supersensitive holes but is set up with standard wires. The serial is 325xxxx. It has the reverse B above the tone dial. It was a little aged when I bought it, so I believe it was a late 80s model. I will attach photos. Happy NY. Mike

I have an idea, can one of you elder Ludwig wizards set up a Gofund me and get a PHD on this subject? Seems that there is a gap in info on the between the 70s-90s. Maybe someone needs to be paid to interview the factory guys and girls before they pass. Is there an up to date source on the dark ages of Ludwig serials?

I have an idea, can one of you elder Ludwig wizards set up a Gofund me and get a PHD on this subject? Seems that there is a gap in info on the between the 70s-90s. Maybe someone needs to be paid to interview the factory guys and girls before they pass. Is there an up to date source on the dark ages of Ludwig serials?[/QUOTE

IMG_3766.jpg IMG_3764.jpg IMG_3769.jpg
MikeyP,
I just acquired this 6.5 BB from Ebay. S/N 3176953. Has the inverted B over the tone control. Weighs 4lbs 3oz without any hardware on it. i believe it is late 80's and Bronze. But, not entirely sure.
Anyone else out there who could help determine timeframe and brass or bronze for this?

Attachments

Andrew Linnemann

Reaction score
I just acquired this 6.5 BB from Ebay. S/N 3176953. Has the inverted B over the tone control. Weighs 4lbs 3oz without any hardware on it. i believe it is late 80's and Bronze. But, not entirely sure.
Anyone else out there who could help determine timeframe and brass or bronze for this?

(reposted my question - newbie)

Attachments