Ludwig canister throne

kluger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scored this canister throne in fantastic condition. Probably one of the last they made before discontinuing them. Have a Slingerland in white satin flame also. Just too cool to pass up. Luckily the height on these is were I like it. My collecting has evolved to stuff that is truly unique and piques my interest. Not so much full kits anymore.

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice! I love canisters and I actually have the last one Ludwig made. I had no idea that they were being discontinued and when I ordered my classic maple set in 2012 and I ordered a canister. I was told that the one I received was the last one they made as Ludwig did not make the shell in house and they couldn't get the shell anymore. Apparently the 12x24 size shell was made by some other supplier and Ludwig had them on hand when they had the not so frequent request for one. I was told the company they got these pre made shells from went out of business and Ludwig decided to just discontinue them rather than look for another supplier. My set was built in May of 2012 and I received the canister in sept of 2012. The champagne canister is the 2012. The mod orange reissue if rom 2004, the original mod orange is from 1970 and the oyster black is from 1969.

Attachments

Drm1979

Reaction score
These things are cool. It's funny because last night I was thinking about these and then this thread came up. Although you could easily custom build one to your specifications using PVC pipe and a barstool top if you want it taller than the usual height.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Nice! I love canisters and I actually have the last one Ludwig made. I had no idea that they were being discontinued and when I ordered my classic maple set in 2012 and I ordered a canister. I was told that the one I received was the last one they made as Ludwig did not make the shell in house and they couldn't get the shell anymore. Apparently the 12x24 size shell was made by some other supplier and Ludwig had them on hand when they had the not so frequent request for one. I was told the company they got these pre made shells from went out of business and Ludwig decided to just discontinue them rather than look for another supplier. My set was built in May of 2012 and I received the canister in sept of 2012. The champagne canister is the 2012. The mod orange reissue if rom 2004, the original mod orange is from 1970 and the oyster black is from 1969.
Great collection, Kurt. Especially like the Oyster Black one and Mod Orange one. Always wondered ....are they comfortable to sit on?

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I've been using a Cannon knock-off (sadly no longer in production) for well over a decade. It's a 14" shell-tube. It was just a bit too short so I added some larger rubber feet, which brought it up about an inch. Over the years, I've managed to accumulate (or modify) hardware that fits inside. The heaviest piece of hardware is always the throne, so that problem went away. The canister itself weighs less than most heavy-duty thrones. Plus I was forced to use very light hardware to get it into the canister. I've never had a problem with any of it.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Great collection, Kurt. Especially like the Oyster Black one and Mod Orange one. Always wondered ....are they comfortable to sit on?
I use a canister throne for almost every gig and I think they are plenty comfortable for me. I'm not very tall though as I am only 5'5". When I use a rock and sock throne it is as high as it will go which is about the same height as the canister so it works perfectly for me. The only issue I ever have is if I play a summer gig and don't know where I will be playing. It's hard to use a canister throne on an uneven surface. I hate that.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
“It's hard to use a canister throne on an uneven surface. I hate that”

Never even thought about that. Great point! I’m sure we’ve all done gigs where you’re leaning forwards or backwards, left or right to keep stable. Not fun.
I have had a few outdoor party gigs where the person throwing the party just figures that a band can play anywhere and has them set up in an uneven backyard. I hate that because even with a regular throne, I wind up with a backache from leaning a funny way.

How high are these thrones ?
12x24 is the actual height.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I use a canister throne for almost every gig and I think they are plenty comfortable for me. I'm not very tall though as I am only 5'5". When I use a rock and sock throne it is as high as it will go which is about the same height as the canister so it works perfectly for me. The only issue I ever have is if I play a summer gig and don't know where I will be playing. It's hard to use a canister throne on an uneven surface. I hate that.
Thanks for letting me know!

Latest posts