Ludwig Cavern Club set

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Would not the center lug drums place less strain on a shell? Freeing it to possibly resonate more?

With a center lugged drum both sides exert their pull on one single lug. Being pulled in opposite direction from both sides, would that not greatly cancel out most tension placed on a shell where the lug is attached to it?

Wouldn't the opposing pull factor placed on a center lug cancel out and eliminate much of the tension put on the shell? A pressure that would be exerted on a double lugged shell?

Lets say that there is a pressure of 60psi placed by the top lug on a double lugged shell. But on a center single lug drum? One side is pulling 60psi, and the resonant side may pull 55 psi. Would not that only be about 5 psi exerted on the shell?

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cody nice to have you with us! I'm interested to hear your assessment of the kit when it arrives. My favorite kit I've ever owned is a 63' club date and Im thinking of picking up one of the new club dates so I can leave my big beat at home. I think the round over edges and shell configuration offered with these kits are far superior to a mid level mapex or Gretsch Catalina.. The nay sayers just don't get the whole club date vibe, probably too worried about keeping up appearances.

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Matching 5x14 snare does exist, we have that in stock as well for about $145. Oddly enough, the snare has re-rings, but the kit does not. The wrap is OK, it's not the original Blue Oyster, but it's pretty spot on for the "bowling ball" era BO.......I dig the Olive Sparkle personally.

They are the exact same shells as the Element SE, so if you've heard them, you have a pretty good idea.....they just have the roundover edges instead.
I looked on GC's site- no listing for a separate snare. I would grab one for $145.
Me too, how do i get one?

Aztlancito1

Reaction score
here’s a guy playing the new club dates with the blue oyster bowling ball wrap:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had the Downbeat kit of the Clubdate SE series,they were cherry and poplar w roundover edges,sounded enormous but the burgandy spark wrap was thin and bubbled on me badly from an outdoor gig.
Cavern Clubs were the same.
Still would like a 13,16,22 of them.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've one in Silver Sparkle. I think the tom-toms compare favourably to 80s Ludwigs. I've a 70s orphan tom on the way, hope they'll blend well. They're good quality drums, but as with all center lug drums, the tunings on both heads can "interact" a bit. Speaking of which you haven't experienced tuning problems if you haven't played a Premier snare... :shaking:

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's the USA Club dates I'm afraid. The SE version was discontinued even earlier in 2016. You can still order center lug Classic and Legacy kits though.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But they don't have the same ply layup that the Club Dates had, correct?
Both of the earlier models were multiple plies w/o reinforcing rings. The new Legacy kits will be the old 3-ply configuration, and AFAIK can even be ordered with resa-cote interior. ;-)

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both of the earlier models were multiple plies w/o reinforcing rings. The new Legacy kits will be the old 3-ply configuration, and AFAIK can even be ordered with resa-cote interior. ;-)

Oh wow, so you can basically specifically order a Ludwig Classic Maple kit with the same ply layup as the Club Dates?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize this post was so old. However, I googled this kit and found some interesting stats on Reverb. I agree the bowling ball finish is pretty awful. They're not like the Vintage bowling ball 70's and certainly not like the Vintage oyster finish 60's.......

Attachments

Aztlancito1

Reaction score
I know someone with a Ludwig Cavern Club drum set.........me!

View attachment 434338
did you replace the reso head on the bass drum? mine came with a Ludwig script logo and no hole. also, though the bowling ball wrap seems to be universally disapproved (and frankly, in comparison to the vintage oyster wraps—i get it) it will grow on you after a while, and it looks sweet in certain lighting conditions. besides, most people you play for won’t know the difference, and a few may notice that the look harkens back to Ringo’s early kits. not to mention the boom of the cherry/gum-wood shells with the 30-degree rounded bearing edges. as a budget kit for a part-time player in a Beatles band (like me), they pack some serious value. recommended if you can get your hands on one

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
did you replace the reso head on the bass drum? mine came with a Ludwig script logo and no hole. also, though the bowling ball wrap seems to be universally disapproved (and frankly, in comparison to the vintage oyster wraps—i get it) it will grow on you after a while, and it looks sweet in certain lighting conditions. besides, most people you play for won’t know the difference, and a few may notice that the look harkens back to Ringo’s early kits. not to mention the boom of the cherry/gum-wood shells with the 30-degree rounded bearing edges. as a budget kit for a part-time player in a Beatles band (like me), they pack some serious value. recommended if you can get your hands on one
Yeah, I replaced the reso head,the original one had some neat graphics, but the head was terrible.

As far as a budget kit, I only paid $500 for mine when Guitar Center had them on sale. I know that I will never have a "real" Ringo kit in black oyster, so this works for me.

Aztlancito1

Reaction score
you got a smokin’ deal. i think i paid $7–800 when they were fairly new with no snare. i wonder if paying upwards of $200 now for a matching snare would be a wise choice? i bought this snare to try to match it but it’s not quite a match (see pic).
9CC5B932-82BA-4AA1-BB8C-5FC69A401CB3.jpeg
snare sounds great though with a spare Aquarian head i put on it. i should probly replace the stock resonant heads too, lol. did you find that made a big difference? i’m kind of a novice when it comes to gear.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an 18/12/14 w/ matching snare. Great set! Light compared to same size Gretsch set.