Ludwig citrus mod glass glitter is in production...

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in a different thread, people were discussing Ludwig doing this, and possibly taking away from the BEC snare. But, these are classic maples with keystone badges. So...........

Maybe they are just doing a limited run of the finish, like the psych red and mod orange, and if they don't use the 100th badge and the Legacy shells, it won't upset too many people.

I think it is a very cool finish, and glad that Bun E. helped bring it back.

Maybe its time to order a new kit!

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Reaction score
Man, I *still* just can't get into that finish. Kudos to Ludwig for bringing out such a unique finish, but it still looks like Barf Sparkle to me. :?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Coelacanth said:
Man, I *still* just can't get into that finish. Kudos to Ludwig for bringing out such a unique finish, but it still looks like Barf Sparkle to me. :?
+2

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow those look mighty cool.
It does look much better in person. I wasn't real impressed when i saw pictures but in person it's really nice.

They haven't really "brought back" a finish because this is a new one although it uses the same colors and swirly type pattern as the original citrus mod only with a glitter base. I guess it's sort of the same but not an identical reissue.

If I hadn't just paid half of my property taxes I'd be very tempted by that 12/14/20 set to go with my Bun E. snare...and that 6.5" deep snare...Nice!

Ludwig's got my eye and now they're torturing me :(

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
OK, when does Kat order hers???? :lol:

I really like it. So much so, if I had money I'd like to re-do my 1999 kit in that color. I doubt there's a way to do it though.

Casper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just can't make up my mind on this finish. I applaud Ludwig for the effort, but it seems that the drums have an identity crisis; can't decide whether they want to be Citrus Mod or a sparkle. Also reminds me of looking at a drum kit on TV when the feds decide to go digital and I'm left with rabbit ears; kind of like how our TVs would go from clear to "snow" back in the old days when we were losing reception. I guess on the positive side, the sparkle overlay (if that's what it is) hides the "shallower" character of the newer "pearl" retro finishes.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Casper said:
I guess on the positive side, the sparkle overlay (if that's what it is) hides the "shallower" character of the newer "pearl" retro finishes.
I think the proper term (or more accurate anyway) would be sparkle Underlay...since the sparkles are under the color layer. DW has used some wraps similar to this (or at least one, sort of a Oyster black with a silver sparkle base).

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I don't personally care for this one, but I do think that it's cool as heck that Ludwig is doing this kind of stuff. They have brought out SO MUCH new and neat-o stuff lately. So much nicer than the leaner days where nothing much changed at all for years at a time.

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is one of those finishes that may not translate well onto computer monitors. I'd like to see a set in real life before I call it something like "barf sparkle".

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
Drumwraps can be like songs you don't at first like, they grow on you - like fungus! tbh, I quite like it - in an LSD trip way.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i think that its a lot like the original psych issues. some people love them and some just dont. i do love the heritage aspect of this new wrap. ludwig is using their creative minds pretty well these days it appears.

mike

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Love the idea, but don't care much for the finish..... I don't care much for the original though either. Now if they would do a repro in 60's blue oyster.... ooh!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The non-drumming "lay people", such as my wife, that I've shown my Bun E. snare to have all loved the wrap more than any other aspect about the drum (which is simply just another drum to them).

"Oooh! awesome, it looks like candy" was my wife's first response...she was ready to give me crap about buying yet another unnecessary (is there really such a thing?) snare drum until she saw it...the look of the drum totally changed her opinion about the purchase (but would that goodwill extend to the purchase of an entire set? Hmmmm? :? ).

It could be an endless loop...a new wrap is deemed ugly by most and doesn't sell well, gets dropped and then over many years interest develops in this ultra rare color that didn't sell...."ugly" or not it's ultra rare so people want it, prices go up as interest builds, manufacturer finally senses a demand and reissues (in this case a variation of) the original wrap....it's deemed ugly by most and doesn't sell well............ :)

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't help feeling like the more Ludwig drums made in this finish, the less the Bun E. snare will be worth. I know it's not the same shell, but I think what K.O. said about rarity has a lot to do with the desirability factor once an item is out of production.