Ludwig Classic Maple Aged Exotic series Part II

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
After seeing David's gorgeous Ludwig Classic Exotic Series drums, I just had to get my newly delivered kit up and running. The sizes are: 14x24, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18. I am so impressed with this aged Curly Maple kit...the pictures simply won't do it justice, but you will get the general idea. I swear, the curly maple looks like crushed velvet behind glass...it is truly 3-D-esque. The 10 ply shells are just gorgeous and the bearing edges are just perfect and smooth as a baby's bottom. They sound is very reminiscent of Sonor Heavy shells with a strong fundamental note with some serious fatness and OOMPH. They tune up really easy and simply shake the rafters of my house. I like them!
IMG_20200711_173058359.jpg
IMG_20200711_173043538.jpg
IMG_20200711_173027508.jpg
IMG_20200711_173209254.jpg
IMG_20200711_173139547.jpg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is one gorgeous set! I would just have to have a drool towel nearby ;-)

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, stunning! Ludwig is really hitting it out of the park with these lately. Wait till people can actually play drums again out in front of other humans, they will be amazed at these, sound AND looks, I'm guessing.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, stunning! Ludwig is really hitting it out of the park with these lately. Wait till people can actually play drums again out in front of other humans, they will be amazed at these, sound AND looks, I'm guessing.
Thank you and I totally agree...I have owned lots of drums over my 40+ years of playing...this kit has be excited like a kid at Christmas

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Curly Maple is fantastic and your Birdseye kit is superb as well

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
After seeing David's gorgeous Ludwig Classic Exotic Series drums, I just had to get my newly delivered kit up and running. The sizes are: 14x24, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18. I am so impressed with this aged Curly Maple kit...the pictures simply won't do it justice, but you will get the general idea. I swear, the curly maple looks like crushed velvet behind glass...it is truly 3-D-esque. The 10 ply shells are just gorgeous and the bearing edges are just perfect and smooth as a baby's bottom. They sound is very reminiscent of Sonor Heavy shells with a strong fundamental note with some serious fatness and OOMPH. They tune up really easy and simply shake the rafters of my house. I like them! View attachment 450686 View attachment 450687 View attachment 450688 View attachment 450689 View attachment 450690
May I ask, what’s the shell thickness? I imagine it might vary depending on the drum diameter.
So many companies are using thicker shells for bigger drums now. Just wanted to see if Ludwig is part of that trend with their top offerings.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
May I ask, what’s the shell thickness? I imagine it might vary depending on the drum diameter.
So many companies are using thicker shells for bigger drums now. Just wanted to see if Ludwig is part of that trend with their top offerings.
All of the drums are 10 Ply with the curly veneer inside and out. As far as thickness, I don't have anything to measure by, but they are about 30% thicker than standard Ludwig Classic Maple 7 ply shells. They kind of remind me of Sonor SQ2 Heavy Shells, if you have any experience with them. The shells and bearing edges are beautifully formed and simply gorgeous with everything feeling smooth as glass. The lacquering process that Ludwig is doing these days is very underrated. I think that one would be hard pressed to find a better high gloss lacquer finish than what Ludwig has been doing. They are priced right and they look and sound fantastic. I highly recommend giving Ludwig some consideration when choosing your next kit.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sweet mother of all that this good and awesome... those are just BREATHTAKINGLY Beautiful! The larger sizes really provide a nice canvas for the figured veneer. Congrats on the new family addition!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
All of the drums are 10 Ply with the curly veneer inside and out. As far as thickness, I don't have anything to measure by, but they are about 30% thicker than standard Ludwig Classic Maple 7 ply shells. They kind of remind me of Sonor SQ2 Heavy Shells, if you have any experience with them. The shells and bearing edges are beautifully formed and simply gorgeous with everything feeling smooth as glass. The lacquering process that Ludwig is doing these days is very underrated. I think that one would be hard pressed to find a better high gloss lacquer finish than what Ludwig has been doing. They are priced right and they look and sound fantastic. I highly recommend giving Ludwig some consideration when choosing your next kit.
There have been a few times when Ludwig was on a hot streak that I considered getting a kit. For awhile it was the Classic Maple, then the Legacy line showed up and I almost bought one.

In terms of heavy shells, my 1980 beech Sonor Phonic kit reminds me of what you’ve got there. They have a pure fundamental and throw the sound down the hall like nothing else. I’ve played shows in medium sized clubs where the sound guy decided he only needed overhead mics and a kick mic. They’re a joy to play and people comment on the industrial look of the 80’s Sonor.

The lacquer I’m seeing kn your kit is easily up there with my 90’s Yamaha MC. Just a joy to sit and behold.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome, how does the 24 sound?
I know that you love that size too, Mike...it's a total beast. My wife said that it shook the entire house upstairs and asked me not to play that drum again while she is home, in the house! There's something about Ludwig bass drums...they just thump nicely!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow!

To me, that is a perfect set of drums.
Hey, I am not that far away from you, brother! A couple of hours away...tops. Once this pandemic ceases, you are welcomed anytime to check them out. As nice as they look in pictures, they are 100x nicer in person. Plus, the sound that comes out of these tubs is pretty astonishing.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
There have been a few times when Ludwig was on a hot streak that I considered getting a kit. For awhile it was the Classic Maple, then the Legacy line showed up and I almost bought one.

In terms of heavy shells, my 1980 beech Sonor Phonic kit reminds me of what you’ve got there. They have a pure fundamental and throw the sound down the hall like nothing else. I’ve played shows in medium sized clubs where the sound guy decided he only needed overhead mics and a kick mic. They’re a joy to play and people comment on the industrial look of the 80’s Sonor.

The lacquer I’m seeing kn your kit is easily up there with my 90’s Yamaha MC. Just a joy to sit and behold.
Yes, you got it exactly right...they throw the sound down the hall. Thin shells have that near field sound, but don't project particularly well down the hall whereas thicker shells are all about developing that sound 20' away from the kit. You nailed it.

Latest posts