Ludwig Classic Maple Aged Exotic series Part II

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rob, all I can say is... WOWSERS. And I've never really been a Ludwig guy, but WOWSERS. Did I say WOWSERS? :shock:
Michael, it's too bad that you live on the other side of the country because you would LOVE the sound of this kit. They feel great under the sticks as well. There's a lot of sound coming out of these tubs! I just love these 10 ply shells.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I seriously think I may grab me a set of Ludwigs. Does anyone know if they will attach mounts to the shell at the factory if requested? Also, what options do they have as far as bass drum mounted tom holders? Their website is extremely poor when it comes to showcasing their hardware in action.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I seriously think I may grab me a set of Ludwigs. Does anyone know if they will attach mounts to the shell at the factory if requested? Also, what options do they have as far as bass drum mounted tom holders? Their website is extremely poor when it comes to showcasing their hardware in action.
They sure will....
Ludwig Tom Holders.JPG

You can download the "Custom Order Guide" via a link on the website as well: https://www.ludwig-drums.com/download_file/view/2290/1757

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's insane. It almost looks like carbon fiber with that crazy grain. Wow!
That's an interesting comment and I've never thought of that before. When I see it, it reminds me of scales on a snake, like a python or boa. It's definitely got some 3-D wave to it when you move the drum back and forth. It's pretty exotic looking in person, under lights.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is another shell thickness question. how close to ludwigs 6 ply shell are these? The reason I ask is that a 6 ply 14x24 is probably my favorite bass drum sound.
Honestly, I have owned both...actually many of both. Here's what I'll say about it. I love the look of the thicker shell, especially with the exotic veneer on the inside and outside, but they both sound amazing and very very much the same. One of my all time favorite bass drums was on an early 2000's Gold Sparkle 24,13,16,18 with the thinner shells (as you mention)...That bass drum was out of this world, as were the toms. The kit got stolen and I replaced it with a DW Collector's Gold Sparkle...it didn't even come close sonically. I was totally disappointed with the sound of those drums. The bass drum didn't THUMP like the Ludwig Classic Maple did...not even close. The Ludwig toms sang beautifully, just killing the DW Collector's drums. That DW kit was a huge disappointment and I just sold it off sometime later...

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does the snare have the veneer on the inside as well?

On the Birds Eye maple snare that I purchased the Birds Eye is only on the outside.
Yes, veneers are inner and outer. These are from the Aged Exotic series from 2018. I have 3 sets in this series, and they are by far the nicest Ludwigs I've ever owned. Quite possibly the nicest drums I've ever owned, period.

68950129_1649044381896982_8544308660493352960_o.jpg

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, veneers are inner and outer. These are from the Aged Exotic series from 2018. I have 3 sets in this series, and they are by far the nicest Ludwigs I've ever owned. Quite possibly the nicest drums I've ever owned, period.

View attachment 451624
I totally agree. These drums are not only gorgeous, but the shells are perfection. The edges are smooth as a baby's bottom and perfectly cut. I just can't say enough great things about these drums!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does the snare have the veneer on the inside as well?

On the Birds Eye maple snare that I purchased the Birds Eye is only on the outside.
I know the drum you are talking about. I was about to buy it to match with my kit and you beat me to it! :)
Regarding the Lacewood drum pictured, it doesn't not have the veneer on the inside. It was made just before they started doing that. I have a matching Legacy Lacewood kit, although this snare drum is a Classic Maple Series.

Latest posts