Ludwig Classic Maple, Best Drums Ever Made?

unicorncop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a ludwig 13/14/16/24 kit and I am totally blown away. So much so that I purchased a second set in 12/14/20. Unbelievably versatile and super easy to get a great sound.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed, they are great drums. The best? I feel that way about all my kits. My JM’s. All my Yamaha’s. My Rogers Holiday. See my point? Oh, I’m sure I’ll feel that way about that Classic Maple Kit in that Salesman wrap finish someday....

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Classic Maple the BEST...don't even get me started! They were great after I took them to Chris Heuer to deal with the poor Ludwig craftsmanship!

Sorry to be so negative about CM drums. For the price, there shouldn't be any issues. I purchased a separate JF-style snare drum a few years later...again with issues that were corrected by Chris.

In each instance, Ludwig wanted me to send the drums back. Why, so I could hope they'd get it right the second time around? I gladly gave up the warranty to have them repaired by an expert!

-Mark

stuart s

Reaction score
Its the best made that I've played and heard so far. Not sure about the "ever" though. But in the end its all preference.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own two sets; Ludwig late 80's and Ludwig CM, I like them both but I favor the CM's. They are both top quality drums but to compare them with others brands, well, that's personal preference. Of the two, CM's are easier to tune and have a richer tone, I assume Ludwig learned something over the years. LOL

sherm

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig is making some very beautiful instruments. But I have been writing Selmer to step up their game even more. The Imperial Lug nowadays has the pretty standard hex nut lug insert with the flex holders inside to secure the nut. Great! No problem, I always hated the foam packed springs from yesteryear anyway. But, they continue to put 1-7/8" Tension rods into the Imperial lugs on 5" shells, which go right into the insert holders and twist the heck out of them popping them from the slide-in position. Ludwig needs to use a shorter length tension rod of 35mm here. Keep the longer length for 6.5" drums. Next, Hammered shells require .625 x .250 x .125 Thick Nylon washers, not cups which do not sit flush against the interior shell holding the lug. Nylon has give to shape more to the hammering of the shell. Ludwig did this for awhile, but cost sent them back to cups. What cups do is places stress on the flimsy self tapping 8/32nd screws into the lugs. What about the Super Sensitive Snare wires that are forced to bend over the snare side hoop hole in the off position because Ludwig has the wrong bottom hoops on those drums that really require a snare gate? Why don't they make one? Cost. What about the onslaught of B-Stock Selmer forced Ludwig to release starting last decade. What's that about other than cost? Look I could go on and believe you me, I know I'm nit picking here, but if you want to be the best, then be the best. Selmer 'Bean-Counters' should not allow Ludwig to turn into CBS owned Rogers! Sorry for the rant!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I must admit that I have a love for these drums as well. They are incredibly well made and they sound amazing. I particularly love the exotic version with the slightly thicker shells. These drums have some serious thump from the smallest to the biggest.

Ludwig Birdseye copy1.jpeg
Ludwig Birdseye Copy2.jpeg
IMG_20200711_173043538.jpg
IMG_20200711_173027508.jpg
lz5pxjvhcvjflzblphqt.jpg
snoppltcogrk1pysvcfz.jpg

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig is making some very beautiful instruments. But I have been writing Selmer to step up their game even more. The Imperial Lug nowadays has the pretty standard hex nut lug insert with the flex holders inside to secure the nut. Great! No problem, I always hated the foam packed springs from yesteryear anyway. But, they continue to put 1-7/8" Tension rods into the Imperial lugs on 5" shells, which go right into the insert holders and twist the heck out of them popping them from the slide-in position. Ludwig needs to use a shorter length tension rod of 35mm here. Keep the longer length for 6.5" drums. Next, Hammered shells require .625 x .250 x .125 Thick Nylon washers, not cups which do not sit flush against the interior shell holding the lug. Nylon has give to shape more to the hammering of the shell. Ludwig did this for awhile, but cost sent them back to cups. What cups do is places stress on the flimsy self tapping 8/32nd screws into the lugs. What about the Super Sensitive Snare wires that are forced to bend over the snare side hoop hole in the off position because Ludwig has the wrong bottom hoops on those drums that really require a snare gate? Why don't they make one? Cost. What about the onslaught of B-Stock Selmer forced Ludwig to release starting last decade. What's that about other than cost? Look I could go on and believe you me, I know I'm nit picking here, but if you want to be the best, then be the best. Selmer 'Bean-Counters' should not allow Ludwig to turn into CBS owned Rogers! Sorry for the rant!
The b-stock that Selmer forced Ludwig to release? Could you elaborate on that?

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned a kit for about 8 years. The toms and snare sound unbelievable. The kick sounds good, but it's not quite as lively as the other pieces. No issues with build quality at all...

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked these Camco Oaklawns up a few years back and I must say, the build quality is in a league of its own for vintage drums. And the sound is equally as impressive.
I bought a Ludwig Classic Maple kit years ago and they’re pretty nice drums. I gave them to my son who really likes them but plays his vintage Ludwigs more often.
111FCDA5-8BE5-4CE7-9217-87D2B21B19BD.jpeg

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I must admit that I have a love for these drums as well. They are incredibly well made and they sound amazing. I particularly love the exotic version with the slightly thicker shells. These drums have some serious thump from the smallest to the biggest.

View attachment 479851 View attachment 479852 View attachment 479853 View attachment 479854 View attachment 479855 View attachment 479856
Right there with you, brother. Ludwig's 10-ply Aged Exotics are superb drums - they rival Sonor SQ2 in build quality.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Indeed, they are great drums. The best? I feel that way about all my kits. My JM’s. All my Yamaha’s. My Rogers Holiday. See my point? Oh, I’m sure I’ll feel that way about that Classic Maple Kit in that Salesman wrap finish someday....
Dan you have so many kits I suspect you have some tucked away you forgot you even own. :p

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep I want one in Salesman Wrap. Is anyone making the wrap or a close copy these days?