Ludwig classic maple kits

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Well, I and my wife are both in love with these drums now.

We were on Nashville this weekend for the Dave Matthews Band concert, and a trip to forks had to happen.

I went over and hit a beautiful ludwig classic maple kit they had setup. I've never felt and heard the amount off bass that kick had. Then I hit the toms. Immediately knew I had to have one of these kits.

It was $2099. Looks like I'll be saving some pennies and eventually selling my pdp concept maple kit.

Forks was pretty awesome as well. Seemed a bit crowded, but we loved it!
July will mark 20 years that I've been enjoying my Classic Maple kit.
Good luck. =)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
View attachment 396348

Do these count? They're an early 80s kit with (what I think you guys call the "brick" tom mounts).

Not pictured are two concert toms: an 8" and 10", plus an LM402 snare.

The kit features the infamous Butcher Block finish which is a relatively recent re-issue. Why did they re-issue this finish? I don't know. LolView attachment 396351
TWEEEEEEET!!!...sorry, but I have to make a ruling here....nice drums but Classic, not Classic Maple.
Your drums are 6 ply M/P/M shells, 3/8" thick.
We're talking about the 9/7 ply 100% Maple shells, 6mm thick here.
Nothing wrong with your kit (I've got a 6 ply 80's Chicago marcher impersonating a floor tom right now), just a different series from what we're talking about here.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Is the shell config 3 ply with rings?
The Classic Maple series started in 1998 using a 3x3 ply layup for a total of 9 plies.
6mm thick overall and all plies are 100% Maple.
Sometime around 15 years ago, one of their suppliers changed how they laid up the veneers, so the shell changed to a 3x2x3 ply layup for a total of 7 plies.
Still 6mm thick. Still 100% Maple.
I was able to A-B my circa 1999 9 ply kit to a newer 7 ply kit in very similar sizes and past tuning and head selection, I couldn't tell the difference.
Even knocking ones knuckles right on the shell shows no difference in sound (nothing that I or my friend could hear, anyway).
The shell you're thinking of, JazzDrumGuy, is the LEGACY shell.
It is a copy of the 2nd generation of Ludwig original shell layup of a thin Maple ply inside and outside, with a thick middle ply of Poplar.
There is also the Legacy Mahogany variation, which harkens back to an even earlier time at Ludwig.
The Legacy shells are reinforced, but the Classic Maple is not.
Traditional shell vs Modern shell, that would be the comparison here.

Elvis

Last edited:

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
TWEEEEEEET!!!...sorry, but I have to make a ruling here....nice drums but Classic, not Classic Maple.
Your drums are 6 ply M/P/M shells, 3/8" thick.
We're talking about the 9/7 ply 100% Maple shells, 6mm thick here.
Nothing wrong with your kit (I've got a 6 ply 80's Chicago marcher impersonating a floor tom right now), just a different series from what we're talking about here.

Thank you for helping me identify the build out of this kit, Elvis.

It's always nice to know exactly what I have.

Rick

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
So deciding on sizes... The 22 comes with a 13 and 16 Tom.

I like having 3 toms. Would a 14x14 floor be OK with a 13 and 16? Would ideally like a 22 kick and 12" Tom.

Gues I could always order individual drums? Whenever I do get this kit I think I've settled on vintage blue oyster. That or the black

Barden

Reaction score

I like having 3 toms. Would a 14x14 floor be OK with a 13 and 16? Would ideally like a 22 kick and 12" Tom.

Gues I could always order individual drums? Whenever I do get this kit I think I've settled on vintage blue oyster. That or the black
Just stumbled on this deal if you don't mind slightly different sizes:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

My set is 22,13,14,16 and I love them. Even though they make quick pick sets in 22,13,16 sizes, I special ordered mine. I was trying to copy the look of a 1970 set with some modern features(the shell and rail mount). I have done over 300 gigs with my set and they still look new. I went with a lighter sparkle as the sparkles are a little thicker than the pearls and the lighter color seemed to work better reflecting the sun for outdoor gigs. My band does a lot of summer shows and they have been out in direct sun for hours and they never get hot. The champagne color seems to defect sun and I have never had to worry. I also asked when I bought them about the wrap being UV protected. I was told yes but I was always curious how true it was. I added the 14x14 in 2015(three years after the original purchase and likely 200 gigs in) and when the 14x14 showed up it was a perfect match. I honestly can't say enough good things about my set. I have heard stories of others with problems so I don't want to say that Ludwig is perfect but any time I have had to deal with them, the customer service has been great. The drums for the most part are made by humans so that element has to come in to play somewhere.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

If you prefer a 22" bass drum and 12" rack tom, then order a kit with those sizes. That's one of the benefits of the Classic Maple line in that you can custom order to your specifications rather than having to rely on a pre-configured kit. I believe there's a downloadable spreadsheet on the Ludwig website that lets you design your own kit including shell sizes, lugs, spurs, finishes, etc. If you're going the custom route with Ludwig, I'd strongly recommend going through a dealer who does these orders on a regular basis so that you end up getting everything you want.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just couldn't get over how much presence they had. The kick was the kick sound I've been looking for. Time to star saving for those beauties
What heads were on the kit and the kick drum specifically? Might be worth a call to Forks and ask what is on it and see if you can replicate on your current kit.....

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score

I love the Vintage Oyster Blue! Getting Also getting a set of CM very soon. Probably going 12 or 13, 14, 16, 24x14

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Currently own 2 kits a Monroe badge 14 x 20 , 8x12,14 x 14, 16 x16 I natural maple. Kick has a rail mount and 60's style telescoping spurs. 2nd kit is red sparkle 20 x 16, w natural maple hoops and matching red sparkle inlay and gull wing spurs , 8x12, 14x14 . Searching for a 10" for this one. I know what the OP means when he says " as soon as he heard it" that's the sound... It's amazing. The natural maple kit NEVER disappoints in any tuning range....just fantastic drums.

ludwigjim

Reaction score

We were on Nashville this weekend for the Dave Matthews Band concert, and a trip to forks had to happen.

I went over and hit a beautiful ludwig classic maple kit they had setup. I've never felt and heard the amount off bass that kick had. Then I hit the toms. Immediately knew I had to have one of these kits.

It was $2099. Looks like I'll be saving some pennies and eventually selling my pdp concept maple kit.

Ludwig makes some fantastic drums now with rather steep prices but the work horse can't go wrong series is CLASSIC MAPLE for sure!!

Latest posts