Ludwig classic maple kits

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I like my 8x12 Rack, I've had one 9x13 and didn't like it as much. Either would be fine though with a 14x14 and 16x16.
You probably already know this but just in case.... the download configuration guide is here:

Fun to geek out and make all the different selections possible.

dangermoney

Reaction score
If you prefer a 22" bass drum and 12" rack tom, then order a kit with those sizes. That's one of the benefits of the Classic Maple line in that you can custom order to your specifications rather than having to rely on a pre-configured kit. I believe there's a downloadable spreadsheet on the Ludwig website that lets you design your own kit including shell sizes, lugs, spurs, finishes, etc. If you're going the custom route with Ludwig, I'd strongly recommend going through a dealer who does these orders on a regular basis so that you end up getting everything you want.
I second this. I've purchased two special order classic maple kit through my local 5 star dealer. I don't think that it cost much more to go this route and if something isn't right, they will take care of it.

IMO, 22, 12, 14, 16 would be a good option for you since you prefer the 22, 12 option.

felis

Reaction score
I've got Ludwig CM's and various Yamaha kits.

IMO - if the Ludwigs had the Yamaha tom mount system, they'd be just about perfect.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
CM's are great. They project well in front of the kit, and they actually get through the mix.

-Ryan

stevil

Reaction score
TWEEEEEEET!!!...sorry, but I have to make a ruling here....nice drums but Classic, not Classic Maple.
Your drums are 6 ply M/P/M shells, 3/8" thick.
We're talking about the 9/7 ply 100% Maple shells, 6mm thick here.
Nothing wrong with your kit (I've got a 6 ply 80's Chicago marcher impersonating a floor tom right now), just a different series from what we're talking about here.
A recently defunct Portland band played with this type of Ludwig kit - they were awesome sounding drums. Frankly, I'd take them over the current Maple Classics. Not that second place in that race is a loser.

dexter74

Reaction score
Are they heavy drums? How do they compare to 70's 6ply, as far as weight and sound?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a CM Downbeat kit back in 2012, wrapped in Galaxy Sparkle. I outfitted the kit with vintage parts and it looked great! The big issue were all the bad (uneven) bearing edges and incredibly WIDE AND DEEP snare beds! The kit was just about perfect after having these issues dealt with by Chris Heuer. I ended up selling the kit.

-Mark

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in 2016, I decided to purchase another JF-style CM snare drum for my collection, also wrapped in Galaxy Sparkle. Talk about poor craftsmanship! Can you say "no bearing edge backcut?" Take a look at the blown-out drill holes and note the scalloped edges from letting the shell bounce around while on the router table! The assembler chose a bent P-32 for my build and drilled for it! The snare beds were worse on this drum than the one from 2012!

I'm posting the "before" pictures.

-Mark

Attachments

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 2016 JF shell was delivered to Chris Heuer, who cleaned up all the holes, smoothed the scalloped edges and installed a Ludwig-style back cut. Not shown is the much improved snare beds. I bent the leg of the P-32 to what it should be, but had to drill another hole to accommodate the "new" butt!

I just love CM drums!

-Mark

Attachments

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A recently defunct Portland band played with this type of Ludwig kit - they were awesome sounding drums. Frankly, I'd take them over the current Maple Classics. Not that second place in that race is a loser.
I love the sound of my late 70s 6 ply. The kick is a power house. Ludwig went to an all maple kit in the 90s to stay current with the top line kits of their competition at the time. Now that the old school Ludwiig and Gretsch ply layups are popular again, I wonder if Ludwig will bring back the Classics or Super Classics.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a CM Downbeat kit back in 2012, wrapped in Galaxy Sparkle. I outfitted the kit with vintage parts and it looked great! The big issue were all the bad (uneven) bearing edges and incredibly WIDE AND DEEP snare beds! The kit was just about perfect after having these issues dealt with by Chris Heuer. I ended up selling the kit.

-Mark
This is the one thing that seems to come up the most with Ludwig and to an extent Gretsch as well. Great shells, but the build quality is what it is. Someone who plays Tama or Pearl wouldn't put up with that and the kit woud be returned in a heartbeat, but you usually don't hear of those problems.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I love the sound of my late 70s 6 ply. The kick is a power house. Ludwig went to an all maple kit in the 90s to stay current with the top line kits of their competition at the time. Now that the old school Ludwiig and Gretsch ply layups are popular again, I wonder if Ludwig will bring back the Classics or Super Classics.
You could have edges put on Club Date kit. I thought about doing just this to add a big bass drum to my 1997, Natural Maple 6-ply kit.

-Ryan

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
I got tired of waiting for Fibes to go back in business, so I bought these Ludwig Classic Maples last year. Love these drums!!!!! Musician's Friend gave me a killer deal. Same sizes as Bonham's green sparkle kit.

Attachments

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
So deciding on sizes... The 22 comes with a 13 and 16 Tom.

I like having 3 toms. Would a 14x14 floor be OK with a 13 and 16? Would ideally like a 22 kick and 12" Tom.

Gues I could always order individual drums? Whenever I do get this kit I think I've settled on vintage blue oyster. That or the black
Go 12/14/16.

Trust me.

I currently own 12/13/14/16/18 CM toms and 14x20 and 14x22 kick drums.

If I'm not splitting the kits between 2 gigs (13/16/22 and 12/14/20) I'll rock the combined 12/14/16 toms setup - and it's sublime. I have a friend with a 13/14f/16f/24k and I find the first floor to be a bit.. weak when running down the toms... especially with that 24" kick. If you like your 16's on the higher, tone-y side, then this can work. If you want that thunderous "just above wrinkle" classic ludwig tom sound, then the 14 I just don't think is gonna cut it in-between a 13 and 16.

13/16/18 is the *real* thunder - but that's a lot of tom to be carrying around!!

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
What heads were on the kit and the kick drum specifically? Might be worth a call to Forks and ask what is on it and see if you can replicate on your current kit.....
A set of Birch Yamaha's, will *never* sound like a set of Ludwig CM's, regardless of whatever heads you put on. They are two of the most drastically different types of drums on the planet, IMO.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Classic Maples? Oh, don’t get me started. Love, love, love them. Here is a picture of my 2017’s 20/12/14 on their maiden voyage, ye olde wedding gig. The sound man recorded the show for us and BOOM these are the tom sounds I’ve always been looking for. So familiar in a wonderful way! The kick with no muffling, no port: sounds so full with that round flavor like good miso soup. A tone, a note, not a thud.
They sound good mic’d and unmic’d and record well. So friendly and open, for me, that new friend one is so immediately comfortable with he becomes an old friend without any passage of time.
6C5C0E7A-A7D8-4E3A-B254-947154076E9E.jpeg

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got a good ways to go as far as saving but I've decided on the black oyster when I can finally pull the gun!

Latest posts