Ludwig Classic maple snare drum question

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw this snare drum for sale on CL. The seller states that the shell is "maple sandwiched between black oak" but the sticker inside the drum says it is a 7 ply maple shell. So does anyone here know what the is the actual shell construction of this drum? Thanks in advance for any insight.

CL ad:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/d/ludwig-classic-maple-7-ply/6554079143.html

Ludwig classic maple 7 ply snare drum - $220
This is a great snare but I need to thin the herd. Its unique 14x8" shell construction is maple sandwiched between black oak. The depth of the shell produces excellent depth while the oak keeps things snappy and responsive. Very, very loud. There are a couple of screws missing inside which are easily replaced and do not effect the function of the drum. Stock ludwig strainer with 30 strand copper snare.

Attachments

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Looks to me like a stained maple outer ply, nor actual oak wood. And even if the outer ply were real oak, it wouldn't have any effect on the sound. Far as I know, all Classic Maples are 7 ply maple.

Could be wrong, but I doubt it....

Reaction score
thats oak on the outside of that shell, dont know what the model is...

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sticker is strange. Definitely agree with 155, that's an oak outer ply.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a Guitar Center exclusive. Only available there, new.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like maple plies are inside but oak is both the outside and inside ply - definitely not a maple exterior.......interesting.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I've got one of these (I love it). It's a Keystone X shell with classic hardware. I'm guessing that Ludwig just didn't bother to design a new sticker for these. Dunno why, seems like it would've been pretty easy.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geardaddy said:
Saw this snare drum for sale on CL. The seller states that the shell is "maple sandwiched between black oak" but the sticker inside the drum says it is a 7 ply maple shell. So does anyone here know what the is the actual shell construction of this drum? Thanks in advance for any insight.

CL ad:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/d/ludwig-classic-maple-7-ply/6554079143.html

Ludwig classic maple 7 ply snare drum - $220
This is a great snare but I need to thin the herd. Its unique 14x8" shell construction is maple sandwiched between black oak. The depth of the shell produces excellent depth while the oak keeps things snappy and responsive. Very, very loud. There are a couple of screws missing inside which are easily replaced and do not effect the function of the drum. Stock ludwig strainer with 30 strand copper snare.
...strange...that drum has a stained interior.
My Classic Maple drums have clear interiors, even the snare drum.
Would give one chance to pause.....might wanna write to Ludwig and have them decode that serial number on the sticker.

Elvis

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input on this drum. The ad is gone so I assume the drum was sold. Pretty sure it was the same as the drum in the GC link Rhyma Hop posted. I was interested, but the sticker in the drum didn't match the description in the ad so it raised a few flags. Turns out it was probably a legitimate Ludwig drum after all.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DOH! missed that post.
Yeah, that's gotta be it.

Elvis

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Beefsurgeon said:
I've got one of these (I love it). It's a Keystone X shell with classic hardware. I'm guessing that Ludwig just didn't bother to design a new sticker for these. Dunno why, seems like it would've been pretty easy.
Ha ha- It seems like it should be easy. It should be easy. It's not easy.
-5 step process to get a new product approved by management
-Graphics request form with project brief for the graphic design department
-waiting for graphics team (which is shared among all Conn-Selmer brands)
-waiting
-waiting
-Review/revise/revise
-waiting
-IT request- (IT is also shared across CSI) the new label graphics have to be loaded into computer system, in order to produce that label, with serial numbers tied to the product printed, and defined sku's
-Waiting for IT
-Waiting for IT
-Prototype- with luck it will be acceptable, otherwise, take a few steps back.

All for a different graphic on a sticker. The joys of corporate life. :)

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
INDeDrum said:
Ha ha- It seems like it should be easy. It should be easy. It's not easy.
-5 step process to get a new product approved by management
-Graphics request form with project brief for the graphic design department
-waiting for graphics team (which is shared among all Conn-Selmer brands)
-waiting
-waiting
-Review/revise/revise
-waiting
-IT request- (IT is also shared across CSI) the new label graphics have to be loaded into computer system, in order to produce that label, with serial numbers tied to the product printed, and defined sku's
-Waiting for IT
-Waiting for IT
-Prototype- with luck it will be acceptable, otherwise, take a few steps back.

All for a different graphic on a sticker. The joys of corporate life. :)
You sound disenchanted... :laughing5:

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one of those snare drums. Not only do we have a sticker with a serial number on the inside of the drum, but the keystone badge on the outside of the shell has a serial number too.

Oh, and they don't match! Collectors in the future will be driven crazy trying to figure that one out.