Ludwig Classic Maple

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I will also vote classic maple. I ordered one brand new in 2012 and was thinking that this might be my last brand new set.(we all say that right?) I had it in my mind that I would go with legacy as I wanted the best of the best and I heard Bun E play a legacy at a clinic that sounded fantastic. When all was said and done, and I took into account the way my set would look (22,13,16,8 lug snare, champagne sparkle and B/O badges), I realized that from the outside both sets would look identical. If the price difference had not been so far apart I might have gone legacy as it would have been very cool to own a three ply modern Ludwig set. In reality the cost difference was quite a bit that I just said the heck with it. I used the money I saved to add a matching canister throne (which unknown to me at the time, turned out to be the last one Ludwig ever made.)

I had wrestled with getting the canister OR a 14x14 and I'm glad I went with the canister. I was able to add the 14x14 in 2015 and it was a beautiful perfect match to the set. These drums have been gigged over 300 times inside, outside, big and small stages and have been incredible. I always get compliments from sound guys. I'm hoping this is a keeper set as the coolest thing about them is that they are MY drums. Nobody else has owned them but me and I was able to pick out the details the way I wanted. They never let me down.

View attachment 466943

View attachment 466944

View attachment 466945

Gorgeous tubs! I always wanted a Champagne Sparkle Ludwig kit

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig CM is high on my list of new kits I'd like to buy. It's also the least expensive. There is the recent thread "Is a high-end drum really better...." and someone responded about their Ludwig CM kit. I was going to reply that the CM is probably the point where you're going to start seeing diminishing returns.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Necro post, but I'm curious about what time frames and what price ranges you're referring to.
Used to be = 50's, 60's 70's, 80's, 90's?
Inexpensive = 1500, 1000, 500?
I'm getting more interested in Ludwigs, but haven't followed the models and pricing in the past.
Even a link to some historical data would be useful.
I bought my Classic Maples new about 8 months ago. 22, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 & 16: $3200
My price was less than what you typically pay because I bought the base MOD kit (22, 10, 12 & 16 for like $1899 because I got it from the Ludwig factory outlet. The 8, 13 & 14 I bought from Ludwig dealers at normal retail prices.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig CM is high on my list of new kits I'd like to buy. It's also the least expensive. There is the recent thread "Is a high-end drum really better...." and someone responded about their Ludwig CM kit. I was going to reply that the CM is probably the point where you're going to start seeing diminishing returns.
The Classic Maples and I'll also put comparable Gretsch's in the list are probably the "new" kits with the least diminishing returns. They are priced very right for the level of kits that you get.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought my Classic Maples new about 8 months ago. 22, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 & 16: $3200
My price was less than what you typically pay because I bought the base MOD kit (22, 10, 12 & 16 for like $1899 because I got it from the Ludwig factory outlet. The 8, 13 & 14 I bought from Ludwig dealers at normal retail prices.
I thought you bought your kit off of Reverb.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Ludwig Factory Outlet only sells thru Reverb. They have the storefront on Reverb! The 4 piece kit was from them, the 8 & 14 was from Sweetwater and the 13 was from Soundpure.
Ok! Cool! You have a very nice shell bank. Why those vendors? Did they have the drums in stock, or were they special orders?

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok! Cool! You have a very nice shell bank. Why those vendors? Did they have the drums in stock, or were they special orders?
Thank you :)
The Ludwig outlet had the kit ready to ship and it was pretty cool because they got built 1 week before I received it. The 8 & 14 was in stock at Sweetwater. The 13 was a special order from Ludwig through Soundpure so I had to wait a few weeks for that one.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you :)
The Ludwig outlet had the kit ready to ship and it was pretty cool because they got built 1 week before I received it. The 8 & 14 was in stock at Sweetwater. The 13 was a special order from Ludwig through Soundpure so I had to wait a few weeks for that one.
That is cool! Curious why you went to Sound Pure for for the special order instead of Sweetwater?

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is cool! Curious why you went to Sound Pure for for the special order instead of Sweetwater?
Recommendation from someone here on DFO. They had a good experience there. Plus they give you a free extended warranty with the purchase. I also liked the fact that you speak to someone very knowledgeable with the Ludwig ordering process.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Recommendation from someone here on DFO. They had a good experience there. Plus they give you a free extended warranty with the purchase. I also liked the fact that you speak to someone very knowledgeable with the Ludwig ordering process.
Thanks! Good to know.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread rose from the dead because Classic Maples are the eternal Phoenix of the Ludwig line.

I’m outright seduced by mine. So much so that they are the bedroom.

5288CAD4-F0F1-4C07-BCE1-4E8240D7F1FF.jpeg