Ludwig Classic Snare. Is that a thing?

dirtcity

Reaction score
Does anyone know about Ludwig Classic snares? I’ve seen some used for cheaper than your average Classic Maple snare.

I’m looking for a useful 5” deep maple snare to expand my recording possibilities (Supra 402, black beauty 417, Supralite 8” deep) and I keep seeing these pop up. Were they guitar center exclusives? Are they equal to the classic maple range? Is this just a mislabel by a big box store used department? Thanks for any heads up!

Attachments

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish there was a better view of the badge but to my eyes, this looks like a Ludwig Classic Birch snare. The Classic Birch had a keystone badge, but unlike the Classic Maple line, the badge was silver with black script. The Classic Birch line was phased out several years ago but are very nice drums with all-birch shells.

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At some point the Ludwig title has been adjusted. In the 90's they were cataloged as Ludwig Classic and later catalogs include maple in the title.
More info is useful, like born-on date (if available) or number of plys.

Ludwig Classic.JPG

Ludwig Classic Maple.JPG

dirtcity

Reaction score
I wish there was a better view of the badge but to my eyes, this looks like a Ludwig Classic Birch snare. The Classic Birch had a keystone badge, but unlike the Classic Maple line, the badge was silver with black script. The Classic Birch line was phased out several years ago but are very nice drums with all-birch shells.
Someone on a Facebook group said this was a birch shell. On another photo there is more clearly a silver badge.

There is another one I found but no photo of the badge at all.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
"Classic" refer's to the shell.
In this case, 6 ply, 9.5mm thick, Maple/Poplar construction.
Built as a specialty drum in 1975, the concept was originally a way to address the "more energetic" Rock drummers of the 1970's, so their solution was to build two 3-ply shells and set one inside the other.
In 1978, the 6 ply shell became a production unit and stayed in production for 20 years.
There were two variations of the Classic shell.
The "Super Classic" shell was a thinner 4-ply shell that came out in 1988.
Around 1996, Ludwig came out with an even thinner shell they called "Vintage". This was a 5-ply 6.1mm shell.
Around the later part of '97, the 5-ply shell took over from the 4-ply shell and became the "Super Classic" shell.
In early 1998, with the industry leaning hard towards a 100% Maple shell, Ludwig announced its own 100% Maple shell, they deemed the "Classic Maple".
Customer reaction was so dramatic, Ludwig ceased production of all composite shells in the spring of that year and the 9 ply, 6mm Classic Maple shell became the main Ludwig shell.

The snare drum dirtcity has attached to his post is a Classic Birch shell.
This was a variation of the Classic Maple, in that it was not composite, but 100% Birch.
7 ply's, 7mm thick.
It was an outgrowth of the old Rocker Elite shell.
The Rocker series was a budget line Ludwig started making around 1984 and itself was an outgrowth of the S/L series of 1982.
The Classic Birch moniker came online around 1999 or 2000.
In those days, it was almost de rigueur for a major drum manufacturer to feature both a top end Maple shelled series and a top end Birch shelled series.
For Ludwig, that was Classic Maple and Classic Birch.

Elvis

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Classic" refer's to the shell.
In this case, 6 ply, 9.5mm thick, Maple/Poplar construction.
Built as a specialty drum in 1975, the concept was originally a way to address the "more energetic" Rock drummers of the 1970's, so their solution was to build two 3-ply shells and set one inside the other.
In 1978, the 6 ply shell became a production unit and stayed in production for 20 years.
There were two variations of the Classic shell.
The "Super Classic" shell was a thinner 4-ply shell that came out in 1988.
Around 1996, Ludwig came out with an even thinner shell they called "Vintage". This was a 5-ply 6.1mm shell.
Around the later part of '97, the 5-ply shell took over from the 4-ply shell and became the "Super Classic" shell.
In early 1998, with the industry leaning hard towards a 100% Maple shell, Ludwig announced its own 100% Maple shell, they deemed the "Classic Maple".
Customer reaction was so dramatic, Ludwig ceased production of all composite shells in the spring of that year and the 9 ply, 6mm Classic Maple shell became the main Ludwig shell.

The snare drum dirtcity has attached to his post is a Classic Birch shell.
This was a variation of the Classic Maple, in that it was not composite, but 100% Birch.
7 ply's, 7mm thick.
It was an outgrowth of the old Rocker Elite shell.
The Rocker series was a budget line Ludwig started making around 1984 and itself was an outgrowth of the S/L series of 1982.
The Classic Birch moniker came online around 1999 or 2000.
In those days, it was almost de rigueur for a major drum manufacturer to feature both a top end Maple shelled series and a top end Birch shelled series.
For Ludwig, that was Classic Maple and Classic Birch.

Elvis
The 6 ply, 3 ply within a 3ply shell was only made for a short time. The production 6 ply shell was made of equal thickness plies with staggered seams.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The 6 ply, 3 ply within a 3ply shell was only made for a short time. The production 6 ply shell was made of equal thickness plies with staggered seams.
That's true. I should've clarified that.
When the 6 ply went into production, they changed the layup. I believe production 6 ply shells were Maple inner and outer plies with middle plies of Poplar.