header.nohb.html

Ludwig COB snare drums. the new ones vs the pre serial ones

donbseattle

Reaction score
Hi again,

I just did a search for Ludwig COB snare drums, pre serial ones vs new ones. I had a pre serial one once and of course, I miss it. Now those babies are going for a good deal of dough.
I know you can get brand new ones. I think I saw one guy say the hoops on the old ones were different than the hoops on the new ones. And that the pre serial ones had a welded seam, as opposed to spun.
But honestly......................don't tell anybody, but I actually hardly know anything about these
In a blindfold test, would the average schmoe be able to tell the difference between a brand new COB ludwig snare drum and one of the pre serial ones?
The new ones are sure alot cheaper. Plus, most importantly, they are shinier.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
As you laid it out, your average blindfolded schmoe wouldn't be able to tell the difference, especially if you're playing only one drum.
Even an experienced person may have a feint memory of the sound, but they wouldn't have anything to objectively compare it to.
If you had vintage and modern side-by-side, you might be able to discern a difference if there was one - but that could also be the result of any number of variables too.
Are there sonic differences between the two variants when controlled for variables? Probably, maybe, could be. Is it worth the extra dough for collectability or mojo? Could be, maybe.

I think modern variants are great instruments, the shells are hydroformed and annealed, laser cut for hardware, etc., so the quality and consistency is arguably as good as it ever was and more likely way better than ever was. If I was considering COB, I wouldn't shy away from the new ones at all. They have a couple of different configurations so you can really get what you want (5" or 6.5" depth; tube or Imperial lugs; TF or DC hoops, brass tubes/DC hoops), rather than what just popped up for sale in the inter-webz. Depending on how you get it configured, you can play around with the sound by removing lug gaskets and swapping hoops out as well.

donbseattle

Reaction score
Here is a youtube vid comparing the aluminums to the cob's. Only one problem. The drums are not tuned very well.

The conclusion is the ugly, pitting alumies have a crispier rat tat tat than the corn on the COB's! So the answer is buy a shiny supra and when it starts pitting sell it at once and go play your prized wooden snare drum!

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm back to using the pre-serial 5x14 COB with the small knob tone control that I bought circa 1993 from Chuck Scalia...
It sounds better than ever to my ears now...tuned "up" more than usual...snares tighter too...Remo coated Ambassador on top,clear bottom.
One of the best purchases I've ever made...

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a '59 transition badge Super Ludwig in player's condition that was pretty sweet. But I sold it and bought a modern Black Beauty and a couple other things. I didn't have them side by side but I liked the BB better. The '59 felt finicky to me-- when it was on, it was magical. But in some rooms, or tweaks to tuning, and i was kinda blah. Operator error could certainly have been a factor.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer the old ones. The narrow beds make a difference. To my ears they’re fatter sounding. My trans badge 402 is unreal.