Ludwig Coliseum snare wires conversion

Bruzzi

Reaction score
Hi,
a friend of mine asked me to if I could make him a conversion kit for his Coliseum to change the very "special" wires and to use a standard snare wire instead...of course without drilling any holes to the shell and with the option for dismantling the conversion.

:confused1: ................. :confused3: ............. :confused4: ............. :violent1: ....................................................... :sign7: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original wires

Custom butt plate

hidden mounting for the new wires

Strainer side

A Pearl strainer for freefloating snares fits perfect.

Cheers
Bruzzi

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Ludwig L483 that I ordered with the P-87/P-34 combination.
I really love the throw but hated the butt after I got it. The individually adjustable snares sounded like a good idea at first, but become a PITA, especially if you wanted to experiment with different snares.

To get around this issue, I just removed the P-34 an added a new P-32. I re-used all three mounting screws - two for the P-32 and one to fill the remaining P-34 pre-drilled hole.
I also currently use snare cord for this butt although I know I have used tape (plastic strip) at one time or another.

L483_012-sml.jpg

L483_010a_SML.jpg

I used tape (plastic strip, from an old drum head if I remember correctly) on P-87 throw end, and re-used the P-87 snare hardware.
The simple mod was to put a hole in the tape and bolt it back together.

L483_005_sml.jpg

L483_011a_SML.jpg

The newer P-33 looks better than the P-37 I used, but I'm not sure of the fitment... as an option these go new for under $20.
I think you may have to mount this one "upside down" as I have heard of issue with the head touching the butt on other shells.
Mounting upside down buys a bit of real estate.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was on an extremely low budget back in those days (early 80's)... so the low-cost modification fit my ends very well.

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the 6" X 14" version & it is the worst sounding snare I have EVER owned. When I got it it had a die cast batter hoop & red sparkle wrap & sounded really choked. I removed the die cast hoop & the wrap & it still sounded bad. I have tried about every head combo out there & the drum still sounds like crap.
Love your ideas& it might turn this into a drum I enjoy playing.

Thanks!
Slawman

Latest posts