Ludwig Coliseum

T Rod

Reaction score
Can any of the forumites share what they know about Ludwig Coliseums?
What kind of price range do they have?
Sound? etc.
Drawbacks?

I am interested in any info possible

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
8x14 wood shell with 12 lugs, introduced in the early 80's. You could get them with either a P-85 or a Classic throw off and Die-cast hoops were also an option. Later on they also offered a version with a slotted shell and I think there was even a 10" depth model at one point. I bought a brand new one in 1983(ish). Mine was chrome over wood (six ply maple/poplar) with the regular hoops and a P-85. I still have it. The 12 lugs made changing heads a bit of a task. Mine came from the factory with lug locks on the top lugs. I haven't used mine in years but back in the day I had an Evans hydraulic head on it (two plys with a layer of oil in between) and it was definitely "fat" sounding, which was a popular snare sound at the time. Soundmen seemed to love it. Later I went to a regular coated ambassador which brightened things up considerably.

Not sure what the going rate is on them these days. On the slotted models the lugs sometimes break in the middle where they carry all the tension load of the heads by themselves.

Attachments

T Rod

Reaction score
K.O.
Thanks for the great info it is really appreciated.
If anyone can chime in with a price range I might be in business

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There were also steel shell Coliseums though I admit the one I saw was a surprise - didn't much care for the tone, but I'm also not a fan of steel shells in general. 12 lug hoops are a bit of a logistic challenge. Coliseums were regular but not common offerings on ebay some time ago but have not looked at snares in a while. Dim, unreliable memory says offerings were in $200 - $300 range.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last year I had one that I picked up with a kit that I intended to flip. The snare was nice and had a clear diploment as a batter. It was pretty sensitive and could flat out rock when you wanted it to.

Mine had the lug locks and looked just like the one in the lower right hand corner of the catalog picture posted above by KO.

Probably not the great drum for a jazz cat, but had a nice deep tone and great crack to it.

I sold it for around $450 if I recall correctly.

H

hindadoon

I have one that lands on just about every multiple song recording session that I do. I got a fairly good deal on it two years ago. I think I payed $200-250. Depending on condition, I would imagine they might sell for around 300-400, but thats a guess. I love the drum....its a keeper.

Paul

H

hindadoon

Here is a COW on Ebay......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221123250382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1195wt_1181

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a big giant Coliseum snare 14x10 with the high tension lugs and a thick maple shell. Probably was made in the 80's, and it had a gold keystone badge (I may be mis-indentifyng it.) It never really sounded good to me, but I used for a little while. It actually sounded more like a marching snare and I questioned if that's what it was until I found out it was a Coliseum. For funk and other music where a tight snare that doesn't breathe would work, it was just ok. Tuning it lower didn't create a fatter sound, kust a slightly lower pitch with little decay. Snare wire tensioning didn't make much difference, either.

I tried for some time to sell it on craigslist but no one wanted it, and I ended up selling it back to the local drum shop I bought it from for about $75 less than I paid, which I think was $175. I'm happy to be rid of that snare!

The only good thing I can say about it is it sounded like a Ludwig. They know how to build that sound into almost all of their drums (the cheap modern stuff notwithstanding).

youngantiques

Reaction score
I just recently refurbed one that some pipsqueak painted rasta colors and painted the hardware black. I had to patch some extra holes and rewrap it but I still fetched $315 for it on ebay.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BTW.... A Coliseum can sound like this: Top 2 vids are recent shoots w/ 22" kcik and the bottom 2 are older vids w/ 26" kick

&feature=plcp

&feature=plcp

&feature=plcp

&feature=plcp

Last edited by a moderator:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a shot of minses..... It's my favorite out of the lot of Ludwigs I have including brass/bronze/aluminum/and other maple.

L483_005_sml.jpg
click for a larger image

Note that the 8" x 14" (L-483 or L-484) is officially the "Colliseum" and the 10" x 14" (LC-480 or LC-481)is the "Classic Deep Rock Snare"

PaiceFan

Reaction score
I bought one in 83' brand new 8x14 COW it always reminded me of an Alex VanHalen type of sound you can really tune them up high and it dosen't choke. I Still have it. It's one of my favorites also Love your videos Hop But please go back to that 26" kick love your Youtube stuff as well

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
one on ebay tonight....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-14-X-8-Coliseum-Snare-Drum-Vintage-Chrome-Steel-Over-Maple-/221123250382?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item337bf908ce

mike

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought one in 83' brand new 8x14 COW it always reminded me of an Alex VanHalen type of sound you can really tune them up high and it dosen't choke. I Still have it. It's one of my favorites also Love your videos Hop But please go back to that 26" kick love your Youtube stuff as well

Mine is exactly the same as yours. It was the first totally brand new drum I ever bought. Saw it in Griggs Music in Davenport, Iowa and had to have one. They had actually already sold the one on the floor so they ordered in another one for me while I made payments.

It replaced my Supra as my #1 snare with my COW set (I've since drifted back to Supra luv).

I've been meaning to dig the ol' Coliseum out and clean it up and give it another try with some new heads.

Here's a couple of pics from back in the day that show it in use....long long ago. I doubt I could get one leg into those white Levis today :wink:

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
....Love your videos Hop But please go back to that 26" kick love your Youtube stuff as well
I can't take credit for those vids!!! That's a great player named Dan Z (Zalac) who has a got a bunch of real good vids on his YT channel...
Check out his version of Deep Purple's BURN!!!

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
there is a drop dead perfect chrome-o-wood on ebay right now for $300 buy it now (not mine). if you really want one, and you do, this is a screaming deal. you should jump on it. i have had one for 30 years.

Latest posts