Ludwig concert tom to 18” bass drum

kopterguy

Reaction score
I am converting an 18” concert tom to a bass drum and am trying to find the age of the shell. I could not find any serial number history on these. It looks like a maple poplar shell, but I am not sure. Does anyone here have any info on these?

Attachments

healthie1

Reaction score
Posting to follow - nice job on the holes filled. Did you cut this down, too?

kopterguy

Reaction score
I cut it from 16” to 12” and tried to duplicate the 45 bearing and round over. I wanted to cut the end with holes, but I couldn’t get a full 12”. Do you think they are maple?

kopterguy

Reaction score
The only concert drum reference I found said the serial numbers didn’t really mean anything.

Reaction score
That's cool. Why did you cut it down? I have an old floor tom shell that is the only remaining piece of my very first drum set when I was a kid. I'd like to make a 16" bass drum out of it sometime. I'd like to see this progress. You goin wood hoops, spurs and the whole thing? The color is nice.

kopterguy

Reaction score
The old Jazzette kicks were 18 x 12”, I was doing that style, wood hoops and claw hooks

kopterguy

Reaction score
Black oyster pearl wrap to match my Ludwig toms.

kopterguy

Reaction score
I got some lugs off Ebay that matched the existing lugs. Drum Factory Direct has the claw hooks and tension rods.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a Ludwig 12x18 gold sparkle bass drum that was formerly a marching timp tom from the 1980s. A previous owner converted it into a bass drum and did a nice job. It's not cut down either, the 12" depth is the original size. It sounds good and looks like a proper Jazzette bass drum (although it is a 6 ply of course). Whomever did the conversion had to replace the original lugs with the larger size and then drill the other side for the same lugs. I added a rail mount and spurs to it after buying it. It came with hoop mount spurs and no mount. It does have extra holes from the original marching mounting but they are on the underside of the drum when in use.

Anyway it can be done and the result should work fine.

kopterguy

Reaction score
I have a Ludwig 12x18 gold sparkle bass drum that was formerly a marching timp tom from the 1980s. A previous owner converted it into a bass drum and did a nice job. It's not cut down either, the 12" depth is the original size. It sounds good and looks like a proper Jazzette bass drum (although it is a 6 ply of course). Whomever did the conversion had to replace the original lugs with the larger size and then drill the other side for the same lugs. I added a rail mount and spurs to it after buying it. It came with hoop mount spurs and no mount. It does have extra holes from the original marching mounting but they are on the underside of the drum when in use.

Anyway it can be done and the result should work fine.
Does the badge look similar to mine? These are six ply also.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Does the badge look similar to mine? These are six ply also.
Mine has the large Keystone "Chicago" badge indicating it was made in 1984 just before Ludwig left Chicago for Monroe.

Yours would be from sometime after that move although the construction of the drum should be the same.

kopterguy

Reaction score
so my drum should be from 1984 or newer because of the Monroe factory?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 60's 12x18...great size! I recently did a 12x16 marcher full conversion.....no problem. Hoops, legs and rail mount...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to check my drums but I believe the badge number is a little newer than mine which are from 1993. I also recently did a bass drum from a floor tom with a bad edge. I cut it down to 12" with a hand saw bolted to a 4x4. Turned out nice. I did the edge by hand with a file and sand paper. Some day I might get someone to router it but then again why, it sounds good now. Since this pic I've added a tom mount.

Attachments

kopterguy

Reaction score
I'd have to check my drums but I believe the badge number is a little newer than mine which are from 1993. I also recently did a bass drum from a floor tom with a bad edge. I cut it down to 12" with a hand saw bolted to a 4x4. Turned out nice. I did the edge by hand with a file and sand paper. Some day I might get someone to router it but then again why, it sounds good now. Since this pic I've added a tom mount.
Those really turned out great!

kopterguy

Reaction score
That’s the same vintage that Jazzdrumguy thought. I hoped it was older, because the toms are 1970’s. I’ll have it together in a few days and see how it sounds. For a start, I’m putting a Powerstroke 3 on the batter and a Fiberskin on the reso side.