Ludwig COW

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just acquired this very dirty old 8 lugger snare without a badge. I can see the outline of where it was either a blk and white or green /?. Its in tact but I cant see why its as heavy as it is? I have no experience with these shells, so is the chrome that's adding the weight, and what were the shells made of?..Looks like poplar/ maple to me.
Its in tact, minus snare wires and bottom hoop, but man is it dirty. Were these a student drum back then?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
No pics. I had an 80s Chrome over wood with a blue Olive badge. The chrome was plastic drum wrap and it was only glued at the seam. It came off easily and revealed I believe four Plies of maple which I stained in Walnut.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My shell is heavy with BT lugs, original butt and throw, and even the muffler. I cant see any serial number, but could it be somewhere hidden? It also has one small rivet below the throw to hold the wrap in place, which is VERY TIGHT.
Not sure how long COW was offered, but were there good/better/ best versions of these?. Mine seems to be very well made, and as filthy as it is, I trust it will clean up

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lucky you! Mine had standard lugs which I hated. Had they been BT, I would have kept as a poor man's Jazz Fest. It had a P85 and P83 and it did sound good. I got it for cheap though and traded for a set of Manhattan jazz hats so it was too good a deal to pass up. Mine did not have any rivets. Just a nice tight wrap that came off easily. I don't have pics.....

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one. 4 ply maple/poplar. Chicago, pre Rocker, preserial B/W, and probably S/L or similar. I believe it’s the same shell of its B/O cousin but with tan vs clear interior. I gather its a Second. As noted, it’s a great poor mans jazz festival and the plastic wrap can be easily removed.

Attachments

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one. 4 ply maple/poplar. Chicago, pre Rocker, preserial B/W, and probably S/L or similar. I believe it’s the same shell of its B/O cousin but with tan vs clear interior. I gather its a Second. As noted, it’s a great poor mans jazz festival and the plastic wrap can be easily removed.
Great pictures...........

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
drummertime; that's the same as mine, though yours is in nicer shape. Is your drum heavier than you expected? I,ve heard its heavy steel, which explains it.
How much are these drums worth these days?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drummertime; that's the same as mine, though yours is in nicer shape. Is your drum heavier than you expected? I,ve heard its heavy steel, which explains it.
How much are these drums worth these days?
They are heavy. The lugs have more internal metal and are more solid when compared to 70’s casts. Weight more too. Hoops in this era are also moving from 2.0 to 2.3 mm. Some can weigh at much as 250 grams more per hoop (700ish). Prices appear all over, likely because people see the badge and write it off as Rocker or Rocker II. With that, people who value the 4 ply Maple shell, BT lugs, black P85, 70s style block P32, round knob muffler, heavy hoops, and Ludwig 20 strand steel wires pay more. So maybe $100-150 and B/O $100-175 or even 200. Lucky or opportunistic types might pay $50-75. It’s basically a Classic Maple. Ive played/recorded with the clear interior B/O Standard lug version for 20 years, although I did change the batter hoop to a 60s 1.6 mm. Those lugs can crack so be careful there.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
An 8 lug Ludwig drum, BT lugs and more, yet folks doll out hundreds more for a similar maple shell....Thats LOVE!!

Latest posts