header.nohb.html

ludwig current serial #`s

cymtrich

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i`m thinking it would be great if someone knew somebody at ludwig that might be able to shed some light. why is ludwig so secretive on something like this? don`t understand, seems that an educated consumer could be to their advantage. bill

ludwigjim

Reaction score
idrum4fun said:
I'm pretty sure that serial numbers are no longer on badges, but on a paper tag inside the drum. I'm not quite sure if the number sequence continued from when they were put on badges, but would assume they are. For reference, my Classic Maple Downbeat kit was made in July, 2012, with consecutive serial numbers on the badge. Those numbers are...

3484988 / 3484989 / 3484990 / 3484991

[SIZE=12pt]-Mark[/SIZE]
Had some Classic Maples made the end of Feb. 2012 & they were 3479xxx so I'd guess maybe March April 2012?

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think they were pretty lackadaisical in the past when it came to serial #'s. It seems like they have a better system in place now.

I just bought a 3 pc. bop size set and have asked a few questions here trying to determine about how old they are.
Weird #'s on the badges - 3391xxx on the BD, 3468xxx on the FT, and the 12" mounted tom has two of the same style badges on it, but neither one has a serial #.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I posted a reply to your post that you linked to here....in that other thread.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a date code hidden in the serial number on the new sticker badges, but I don't remember how it is configured.

If at some point you remember or find out how the sticker codes are deciphered, could you post it here please?

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On my newest snare, it has the serial number tag/bar code on the inside decal, the model number and serial number on the box, and a date code inspection sheet with the warranty card.
The serial number correlates to the dealer order, production number, and the model number for internal computer database.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that. :headbang:

I just bought a used Classic Maple set, and while I thought it looked pretty new, now I know it was born in July of 2018. :thumbright:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that. :headbang:

I just bought a used Classic Maple set, and while I thought it looked pretty new, now I know it was born in July of 2018. :thumbright:
July of 2018 isn't "pretty new"?... :huh: :scratch:

rkingston

Reaction score
Someone posted this link on Facebook recently.

Bookmarked, but commenting to save to my profile. Because I'm certain to forget the bookmark.

I'm not sure of the source of this guide; I hope it's accurate. I have a Copperphonic that is prefixed with MHA, but according to this guide, a Copperphonic should start with a Z. But it also says the first character may be applied to multiple series. Who knows...

Anyway, thanks for posting it!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Bookmarked, but commenting to save to my profile. Because I'm certain to forget the bookmark.

I'm not sure of the source of this guide; I hope it's accurate. I have a Copperphonic that is prefixed with MHA, but according to this guide, a Copperphonic should start with a Z. But it also says the first character may be applied to multiple series. Who knows...

I just found this thread looking for help decoding a date from the serial on the sticker inside a Classic Maple drum. I notice on the chart that M can also be used on hammered bronze, and hammered bronze can also start with a Z like Copperphonic. Is your drum hammered? Could it be bronze?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

Interesting.
My drums don't have stickers inside the shells, but then, my kit dates from 1999 and 1998.
Does that mean my Classic Maple kit is vintage ?
Funny, I always considered it an example of modern Ludwig kit. :scratch:

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting.
My drums don't have stickers inside the shells, but then, my kit dates from 1999 and 1998.
Does that mean my Classic Maple kit is vintage ?
Funny, I always considered it an example of modern Ludwig kit. :scratch:
Classic Maples were launched in 1998. Stickers didn't start until 2011 - thirteen years later.

Your drums would be 25 years old in 2023 (if they were made in 1998).
IDK - is 25 years old considered vintage?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Classic Maples were launched in 1998. Stickers didn't start until 2011 - thirteen years later.

Your drums would be 25 years old in 2023 (if they were made in 1998).
IDK - is 25 years old considered vintage?
That's what I'm asking.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, the current 7 ply, 6mm shell hasn't changed since introduced. When it comes to Ludwig, 'vintage' usually means the older 3 ply shells with rigs. Modern vintage is available in the Legacy range.
I'm a relative newcomer to Ludwig trivia though, so I'll bow out and let the more experienced speak.

rkingston

Reaction score
I just found this thread looking for help decoding a date from the serial on the sticker inside a Classic Maple drum. I notice on the chart that M can also be used on hammered bronze, and hammered bronze can also start with a Z like Copperphonic. Is your drum hammered? Could it be bronze?
23A7F377-E255-4DE6-9130-1EF6BC28EF94.jpeg

FBE15BDC-8A8D-471C-8EBA-14054FAD11CA.jpeg

There’s nothing bronze about this beauty. Straight up raw copper.

Well, “raw” and coated with a protective finish… :rolleyes:;)