Ludwig Diamond Flash Inlay Snare - Which Finish?

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the opinions here on the two finishes for the Ludwig Diamond Flash Legacy Snare?

Sort of interested, I see some B-stocks and even 'mint' around $850, in both finishes - thoughts? preferences? recommendations?

Thanks!

1614639289143.png

1614639322848.png

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first saw these I did not like them, but they have grown on me tremendously. I am wondering if one can see the grain through the white on the top drum, but I think the picture of the gray drum casts it in a better light. That's the one I'd want.

Bet they sound as regal as they look.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think those particular inlay colors work well on the gray shell, but that's just me. If I were choosing between the two, hands-down I'd pick the white shell.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey without a doubt. Unless the white matched my kit or something.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am going to go with the white one...............Great looking snares

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey-but let me be a party pooper...why buy a fancy snare the audience won't see much of?

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a curious cousin - found on reverb maxwell drums site but have not noticed before

1614715910458.png

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
My understanding is that the diamond inlays are neither a wrap or paint. Version 1 was a white Birdseye Maple veneer with Blue Tupelo and Yellow Koto wood diamond inlay. According to Ludwig: "Ludwig takes it a step further in our 110th versions by using exquisite pieces of exotic veneer to replicate what the Flash Diamond option originally presented as a Wrap finish. Utilizing dyed Tupelo and Koto veneers, precision-cut diamond figures are inlaid into arctic white birds-eye maple veneer."

Not sure what the inlays consist of on the Version 2 charcoal sets.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the first version white over Birdseye maple . I did find it odd that they would put the white over the beautiful Birdseye veneer . Once you get to look at it up close you can see the Birdseye pop through the white . A very cool look .
One of my local shops has one of the white kits with the snare . He offered me a great deal on it , but I preferred the 110th Anniversary Classic Maple kit with the Emerald Pearl wrap and brass fittings.

If the white Birdseye kit was a Legacy maple instead of mahogany , it would have made the choice more difficult .

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig had some troubles with bleeding of the stripes on the white one. That might be why some are "B" stock. I have the white one and it is flawless.