Ludwig Downbeat Snare Question

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently picked up a few drums and just now starting to sort through them.... there's a great sounding Ludwig Downbeat Snare in red sparkle that's in great shape. It's a Keystone badge with no serial number which would put it early 60's and it's not a rewrap as the wrap goes into the scarf joint. All the hardware is in great shape but it has a round muffler, not a baseball bat muffler as I assumed would be correct for this era.

After some quick research, it doesn't appear the hole spacing was the same for the round muffler compared to the baseball bat but if someone had changed it out, there would be extra holes but I see none..... I'm confused so any feedback much appreciated!

Here's a few pictures...

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

andlours

Reaction score
That's a gorgeous snare. I'm a bit jealous. IIRC, Ludwig ran some round knob mufflers from the 50s into the early 60s before switching to the bat style. Also, I think the hole spacing is the same for all of the mufflers. I believe it's just the hole diameter that's different.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Early pre-serial badged drums should have the small knob muffler. The pre-serial KB was introduced in late 1960 and the BB style muffler was introduced in early 63 (approximately) so there was around a couple of years production with that badge and using the knob style muffler.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
clowndog said:
I had a 62' pre serial with a red ball bat muffler that was stock. Cob rims too.
I might be a bit off on the transition to the BB muffler. I have a tom stamped Oct of 1962 and it has a round knob muffler, and of course Ringo's famous snare from April of 1963 has a BB so I kind of guestimated early 1963 for the transition but there may have been some overlap there too. In any event, a transition badged drum from 1958-60 or pre-serial keystone badged drum made in late 1960, 1961, or some of 1962 should have a knob muffler.

COB rims seem to have changed to steel a couple years later, around 1965.

dingaling

Reaction score
I had a 62' pre serial with a red ball bat muffler that was stock. Cob rims too.
I just won a 1963 model with bat throw off and red muffler on the bay in champagne sparkle. Will be my first downbeat. I’m skeptical of how good it sounds only because so many drummers hype it up so much. Don’t want to have over expectations. I’m sure it sounds great tho. Looking forward to getting to know it better when it arrives.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just won a 1963 model with bat throw off and red muffler on the bay in champagne sparkle. Will be my first downbeat. I’m skeptical of how good it sounds only because so many drummers hype it up so much. Don’t want to have over expectations. I’m sure it sounds great tho. Looking forward to getting to know it better when it arrives.
That was a beautiful snare, congrats! Just avoid the temptation to ratchet down the tension too much, as that lug design is clearly sub-optimal. Not as bad as the similar Tama lugs from the 80s/90s that appeared on their thinner snares, but still just enjoy a moderate go at it.