Ludwig dried glue removal

samsdrum

Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of 1970 Ludwig's in Silver sparkle wrap. The wrap has some shrinkage and seam lift. The area right near the seam has turned an orange color which must be from the old dried adhesive. There is sparkle wrap underneath. What would be a safe product to use to dissolve this discoloring or damaging the wrap that is underneath? Nail polish remover seems to work but I am a bit hesitant to do all of the drums this way as I don't want it to dull the sparkle or worse.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try a rag soaked in hot water (either rub or use like a compress to moisten the glue). If not, then try to use a chisel or flat scraper but softly (maybe a plastic one). If not, try Goo Gone or Goof Off on a rag. Try WD40 on a rag. I strip the glue off shells using Citrustrip. It will take a few minutes only but I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL HARM/DULL THE WRAP. I am talking removal of glue off the wood under the wrap. I'd test a small piece out under a lug so it is hidden.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try a rag soaked in hot water (either rub or use like a compress to moisten the glue). If not, then try to use a chisel or flat scraper but softly (maybe a plastic one). If not, try Goo Gone or Goof Off on a rag. Try WD40 on a rag. I strip the glue off shells using Citrustrip. It will take a few minutes only but I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL HARM/DULL THE WRAP. I am talking removal of glue off the wood under the wrap. I'd test a small piece out under a lug so it is hidden.
Yes Citrustrip will eat wrap! Trust me on this one...oy

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Acetone (the main ingredient in most nail polish remover) will also melt/eat/weld some old wraps. In fact back in the old days that was what Precision instructed you to use to "weld" the overlap to itself.

I used goo-gone and a razor scraper to get glue off a shell last week. The glue would soften into a snot like consistency which I could scrape off but would harden again once the goo gone had evaporated. Again I'd be careful until you're sure it won't effect the wrap itself.