Ludwig Drum Co. - kudos

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While my focus has transitioned into being far less gear-centric as of late, I feel strongly about providing feedback on a manufacturer when credit for good work is warranted.

I had cause to order a kit a couple months ago. After much consideration given to the usual contenders, Ludwig Classic Maples got the nod. The size options met my criteria (availability of 15" floor toms and 14" depth bass drums). I also like the overall Ludwig aesthetic - lugs, hoop claws and such. The birds-eye veneer option caught my eye and there was no up-charge for it over a standard lacquer (even for interior veneer) and pricing to my door was significantly lower than anticipated thanks to Barry Knain at SoundPure.

The drums were delivered just nine weeks after the order was placed - everything was as spec’d and impressively executed. Ludwig exceeded my expectations and delivered a set of drums that rivals the best I’ve encountered, while managing QC that surpasses my experience with some of them. In my opinion, the features and quality of the product delivered belied its price point. I had no idea Ludwig was building shells this good (tight and consistent plies, no fillers - consistent, clean and smooth edges) or doing lacquer finishes of this caliber (deep, smooth and glass-like - nice veneer selection). My hat is off to the folks at Ludwig - the basics done to a high standard is a good way to do business.

All the badges are reasonably straight, at least to my aging eyes. Maybe my case is an outlier, but it appears Ludwig was firing on all cylinders when building this order.

IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

BD interior
IMG_5763.JPG

At home in the booth
IMG_5798.JPG

Sound - Oh, yeah, sound. They sound like quality wood shells with mylar membranes tensioned over each end, which is to say plenty good enough to reveal the qualities and capacities any player can muster and bring to them.

Attachments

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those are simply stunning...and this from a guy who normally does not like wood finishes on drums. Beautiful! bird's-eye maple! And I've been a fan of the cast brass badges since they came out. Congrats and enjoy!

I really, really like the option of an interior veneer...that is a classy look.

Also - Barry at SoundPure is great to deal with; he handled my Noble & Cooley kit order with professionalism and courtesy.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful drums! With the exception of the 1 drum I received from Ludwig with the slightly crooked badge, my Classic Maples (7 drums) are perfect. The mistake isn't a big deal since it's a little cosmetic flaw that can be adjusted. But the finish, bearing edges etc.. are stunning. And as you pointed out about the sound, they sound fantastic!
Congratulations!
That finish looks amazing!
And Barry at Soundpure is excellent & caring.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is pretty! The finish is really gorgeous.

I'd love to give Ludwig my business, but unless I missed it, it seems they don't make a bop kit, which seems weird, as they are pretty popular these days.

Good luck!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The birds-eye veneer option caught my eye and there was no up-charge for it over a standard lacquer (even for interior veneer)
That's surprising, and congrats on a beautiful kit! Interior veneers seem a little over-the-top to me, but then again mine have gray paint on 'em. :laughing6:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful drums. Odd but nice to see birdseye on the inner ply. My only gripe with Ludwig is two things. Using a chrome plated grommet on a brass badge. I don't get that. They always used plain brass ones until the BO badges came out. It's a small detail but it just looks wrong to me. The other is the gaskets. They are so big and appear to just be stamped out of a sheet of rubber. I wish they would either stop putting them on all together or spend the money to get the tooling made to make some properly sized molded one. They did that when they had the new Imperial lugs for the club dates and they look fine. For me those huge gaskets detract from the otherwise beautiful finish.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am such a sucker for Birdseye maple . That might be the nicest looking kit of yours IMHO I have seen you buy . Just gorgeous . Congratulations .

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They sell two different bop kits through Revival. The Revette and the Portlander
Thank you! That's why I hang out here - to learn! :)

I had no idea about these 2 kits, but they look very sharp and are well priced as well. I figured they had to make a true bop kit, but I couldn't find it. Very cool, thanks!

Acidwash

Reaction score
Thank you! That's why I hang out here - to learn! :)

I had no idea about these 2 kits, but they look very sharp and are well priced as well. I figured they had to make a true bop kit, but I couldn't find it. Very cool, thanks!
Glad to help! Truly well priced. I have seen Ludwig’s suggested retail price on the Revette and it is like a grand higher than revival sells it for.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very pretty. I like the birdseye finish both inside and out. Nice touch.

Does Ludwig still get their exotic veneers from Steinway?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ludwig exceeded my expectations and delivered a set of drums that rivals the best I’ve encountered, while managing QC that surpasses my experience with some of them. In my opinion, the features and quality of the product delivered belied its price point. I had no idea Ludwig was building shells this good (tight and consistent plies, no fillers - consistent, clean and smooth edges) or doing lacquer finishes of this caliber (deep, smooth and glass-like - nice veneer selection). My hat is off to the folks at Ludwig - the basics done to a high standard is a good way to do business.
You have summed up my opinion of Ludwig to a "T", Matt. A few months ago I bought a Classic Maple Aged Exotic set and was completely won over by the quality. So much so that two weeks ago I went back to the same source and bought two more sets (extravagance be damned!). I just took delivery today, and am extremely happy to report that they are of the very same caliber. Ludwig is killing it these days!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a seriously nice kit! The quality looks to be right up there with Sonor, which is impressive. If they sound like they look, that's the complete package. Well done, sir.

Latest posts