Ludwig gift

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i posted this on ludwig face-book a day ago, got lot of interest, so thought i would post here as well.

i have a friend who i have know & played with the last 40 years, after he got tired of playing on the road he started a open mic club, every now and then his drummer would quit, so i would fill in, now this club is dark inside, but i can tell i'm on ludwigs that sounded amazing! after show i tell him when he's ready to sell drums i want them.
20 years later he calls me up, ( covid has shut him down for awhile ) asks if i'm still interested in drums, i said yes, what do you want for them? he asks if i have gas to get to his place? 1 hr. away, i tell him yes, he says that what it will cost you, your gas!
now these things have been sitting in storage 20 years or more, before that in his club they were the house drums, used hard & put away wet, i didn't think anything that dirty & beat up could live, but i had wanted them for years, tried to pay for them but he said they are yours, enjoy them.
now there had been a few times thru the years were he had tried shows only to lose his shirt, rest of band mates wanted paid, i told him no, if he lost i would take a lose too, i'm guessing pay back?
now these drums are in ruff shape, battle scares, and grimmy as can be, i ended up with a 22"x12" bass, 16" floor, two 12" one that is B/O badge, 14" snare, not a pimple on it! somewere along the way rail was removed, and post added along with the B/O tom. all rims are COB ,only badge left is on snare 135748. also came with 20" & 18" Zilco canadian symbal

Attachments

Last edited:

Captured Saint

Reaction score
wow, they need some love. I wonder how much it would cost to get them refurbished to a clean standard? I love Ludwig B&O due to the era I grew up in. Is that your plan? Like a stray dog tale. Feed them up and keep them and love them ?

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wow, they need some love. I wonder how much it would cost to get them refurbished to a clean standard? I love Ludwig B&O due to the era I grew up in. Is that your plan? Like a stray dog tale. Feed them up and keep them and love them ?
plan is to bath all hardware in dawn, scrub the shells and see what we have, was hopeing for 20" 14" 12" we'll see.

Reactions: JDA

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a pimple on it.....makes me think brass and you know it looks like a pre serial small knob muffler on it. Lets gets a few shots of that snare!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh never mind I see the serial number you posted. Kit was originally 13 22 16. 12 was added along with the twin tom mount. Kit is pre '64 cept the snare would be '64 '65.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh never mind I see the serial number you posted. Kit was originally 13 22 16. 12 was added along with the twin tom mount. Kit is pre '64 cept the snare would be '64 '65.
I agree but due to two 12"'s, I wonder if it was a 22 12 16 uncatalogued set with Supra? snare with the extra BO badged 12" and double tom mount added later and the rail mount removed...just a guess ; looks like even fade/wear with the 22 12 16.
A great find for you, Mike...enjoy!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but due to two 12"'s, I wonder if it was a 22 12 16 uncatalogued set with Supra? snare with the extra BO badged 12" and double tom mount added later and the rail mount removed...just a guess ; looks like even fade/wear with the 22 12 16.
A great find for you, Mike...enjoy!
Gotcha, I was going by the picture the top tom looked bigger, optical delusion! I'm to going to say the New Yorker was available with a 12, that was a popular tom size in early 60's. My original '62 Hollywood twin tom set was 12 12 22 16

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean ; that top tom does look bigger.... good eyes on it! You had the right idea though and I can see your point.
;)

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i don't want to tear into these yet, as i don't have the time right now, i did pull couple heads off looking for dates, never found any, and that new clean smell you hear about, well insides smell as bad as out side looks lol. floor has a red muff, high has a white muff, half of the rods had no washers on them, and most seem to be ludwig parts, but some is mismatched. i did give couple panels a rub with some hand cleaner, think they will clean up quite a bit.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't want to tear into these yet, as i don't have the time right now, i did pull couple heads off looking for dates, never found any, and that new clean smell you hear about, well insides smell as bad as out side looks lol. floor has a red muff, high has a white muff, half of the rods had no washers on them, and most seem to be ludwig parts, but some is mismatched. i did give couple panels a rub with some hand cleaner, think they will clean up quite a bit.
Mike, is the snare a Supra and does it have the Keystone badge or is that gone?

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike, is the snare a Supra and does it have the Keystone badge or is that gone?
has ks badge-135748=65...small round muff knob, 10 imperial lugs, p83 strainer, magnet will not stick, no crimped snare beds. no pitting on it!

i\m gona need a set of gull-wing folding legs ?

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
has ks badge-135748=65...small round muff knob, 10 imperial lugs, p83 strainer, magnet will not stick, no crimped snare beds. no pitting on it!

What a bonus that snare is.... I have a '65 Supra also and it is sweet.
Yes, I think you will need gull wing spurs unless that kick drum came with disappearing spurs ; new ones have the splined ends and originals have the knurled ends that insert into the bass drum leg mounts, I believe... nickel or chrome still showed in the '64 Ludwig drum catalogue....

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some of the early '65's can be found w brass hoops. Have you tried the magnet on them?