header.nohb.html

Ludwig gig lite

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone had one? How were they. I’ve been looking at one I got offered from a buddy and gotta say the look cool. I love shallow rack Tom’s. Kinda wish Ludwig still made these kit.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

I'm guessing American made by the badge but by no means am I an expert on such things.

What was the time frame these were made?

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you mean like this little diddy?

I thought at first you meant 2% beer. : )

another
Whoa 2% beer? Isn’t that coors light lol but yes those.

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jim Catalano formerly of Ludwig uses one for rehearsals and small gigs and he told me he really likes it a lot .

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had one around 2005 (got it used on ebay). Mine was the original version (13 tom not mounted on side of bass drum but came with a bracket to fly it off of a cymbal stand). I didn't like that, so I got a Ludwig twin tom post and mounted both of the from the center of the bass drum. I used it for small restaurant/coffee shop light jazz gigs and enjoyed it a lot. if the price is right and it fits whatever your needs are, then I say get it.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
@ludwigfire has had a couple and still has one. I had it for a while on trade with him and used it for cafe gigs. I really liked the bass drum for small stages but the shallow sized didn't really push much air, which is the idea I suppose. They were quieter than standard size drums. I liked the toms with the heavy 2 ply Aquarians he had on them, they sorta sounded processed. Once I got my 12x18 together I decided it was better suited for my taste, plus its' blue :) can't be seen out with anything else ya know :) so I traded them back for my concert toms that he had.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
With everyone else offering this style of kit now I'm surprised Ludwig hasn't re-issued something like them. Something from the Nusonic or overseas series would lower cost than the originals which were usa birch series.

O

Ox Han

With everyone else offering this style of kit now I'm surprised Ludwig hasn't re-issued something like them. Something from the Nusonic or overseas series would lower cost than the originals which were usa birch series.
I'd like to see more companies do a set with sizes like the frequent flyer (20x12 kick or 20x10) as opposed to these ridiculous "micro" kits with 16", or smaller, bass drums and 13" floor toms. I'd specifically like to see Gretsch do one in the renown series or brooklyn. I think one could be custom ordered on their high end sets, but under USD$1500 is important for that kind of kit I think. When I get sorted out, I may just get a custom kick/snare from Gretsch in versatile, portable sizes.

to the OP - I've looked at the giglite, but used prices on those are waaaay too high. Last two I saw on reverb started at USD$1k. Inde make the wayfarer and Tama make the neomod. You could also just consider a bass drum and snare to cover those types of gigs & farmer foot drums offer a reasonably priced 20x8 kick, but I have never played one (so not an endorsement, just an observation)

I had the C&C superflyer. While the kick was pretty good, the toms were pretty meh. Super hard to tune. Sold it. I would most likely not want a kick shallower than 10". Also, for this kind of kit, just having the kick/snare would suffice for me. Perhaps hang a cowbell/tambourine off the kick or a stand if needed.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
...to the OP - I've looked at the giglite, but used prices on those are waaaay too high. Last two I saw on reverb started at USD$1k.

+1 Anything over 500 is unreasonable for this kind of set, IMO, and I used to have one. A $1500 price tag is stupendously ridiculous.

...You could also just consider a bass drum and snare to cover those types of gigs & farmer foot drums offer a reasonably priced 20x8 kick, but I have never played one (so not an endorsement, just an observation)

Pearl's original Rhythm Traveler is also based on an 8x20 kick, as is the flavor-of-the-month Yamaha Stage Custom Hip. Last month at an outdoor festival where each drummer had to get on and off a small bandmobile stage, I used a 4-piece Frankenstein kit anchored by a Pearl Rhythm Traveler kick (8x20). The guy who was running sound made that kick sound like a cannon. A drummer friend of mine in the crowd raved about it.

...Also, for this kind of kit, just having the kick/snare would suffice for me. Perhaps hang a cowbell/tambourine off the kick or a stand if needed.

Again, I use the RT bass drum as a 3-piece kit (usually w/ a 12" DW piccolo tom but I've been pairing it with the 5x10 and 8x13 Yamaha SC Hip) for light gigs and rehearsals and everyone seems happy with it.

IMG_9480.JPG

IMG_9515.JPG

IMG_9516.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

One of the things that makes the RT so versatile and compact is the twin tom receiver that allows you to boom your ride off the kick, thus saving on hardware, which is the biggest weight factor in most drum sets. The mounts on the Gig Lite are similarly practical. This gives it a practical advantage over things like Farmer Foot drums and Sidekick drums, both of which require you to use large/heavy cymbal stands to mount the toms, which partially negates the ease & practicality of using small, shallow drums. I shake my head every time I see something like this:

FarmerFootDrums001.jpg

FarmerFootDrums013.jpg

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven’t decided on it yet or not. My buddy is still entertaining getting rid of them and knew I liked shallow Tom’s. I’m sure it’s better then the quest love kit. I always though they were cool kits. Would be cool for Ludwig to do them again but change out a few things.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just found one of these online in black. There’s not a lot of info on them so I’ll try to do a YouTube full review once I get them and tune them up.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Neusonics are USA made.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Neusonics are USA made.

Correct. I didn’t type it very well I guess. I meant either Neusonic or one of their overseas series. The Neusonics seem lower priced than the USA birch series were. Some one in Austin had a blue gig lite for $500. Sold before I saw it….luckily. I don’t really need one :)

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was looking on the Ludwig site to see if they had the same black finish available. Doesn’t look like it. Would prefer a 14 floor tom.