Ludwig Gold Coast

hutdoug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in 1993 I picked up several drums at a rummage sale including a 1937 L&L Standard Swing snare and 1967 3"x13" and 12"x18" Gold Coast outfit in Oyster Black all for $20! Missing from the Gold Coast was the snare basket. I wasn't into collecting yet but I knew what I had. I was offered $350 but thought that was pretty low. So I wrote to WFL Jr. asking about the Standard Swing and the missing snare basket. He was kind enough to write me back and sent a page copy from the 1937 catalog and a flyer from Amanda's Texas Underground listing the top half of the Atlas snare stand.
Then I saw a want ad in NSMD by the late Kevin Dusenbury for a Gold Coast outfit. I contacted him and we worked out a trade. He got the Gold Coast and I got 13", 16', 22" ca 1967 Super Classics in Pink Champagne. I know he got the better end of the deal but I got a player kit that I still use to this day.
After Kevin passed away I corresponded with Bun E. Carlos. He had seen Kevin's collection and did not recall seeing the Gold Coast. I've wondered who has it now. Anybody know?

Attachments

Reaction score
Kevin's stuff got auctioned by a San Diego music store.
A lot of his drums had lifting seams and "crud" issues since he stacked them up and stored them in his beach front house basement. Not a good way to store a hundred or so sets..........

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a now San Diego resident I've often wondered where that all went myself.
I haven't seen any of his collection and I look everyday.
And agree Bun, being near the water is extremely bad for any instruments.
Away from the salt of the sea & never ending sunshine and lower humidity inland (and in cases) is the way to go.

Latest posts