Ludwig-Gretsch, Apples-Oranges

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I (and many here) were growing up the big U.S. drum companies were Ludwig, Gretsch, Rogers and Slingerland. I have always played Ludwig (Ringo effect, plus cost - luds always were less expensive than Gretsch/Rogers, and I never warmed up to Slingerland). I did have a dw set for a few years but grew tired of it. Honestly not sure why because they sounded fine and were quite pretty. I find I am now craving the tone of a Gretsch (gum inner ply like the Jasper shells), hence my apple-orange title. If I decide to go that route I will go simple again 22,13,16 shells. My snare is a '59-60 trans badge COB Supra that I love so there will always be a luddie component to my setup. My only quandary aside from a finish is bd depth. My Legacy kit is 16 deep but I may go 14 for more boom. Anyone have experience with USA custom shells and can give me a sense if there is a noticeable difference between the two depths with that particular shell layup?

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
14" is the optimum depth for Gretsch bass drums. I have seven vintage Gretsch kits from the 60s and 70s; six are 14x22 and one is 14x20 and they are fabulous sounding bass drums. It sounds and feels great to play. You don't need anything deeper.

When I was coming up in the 70s, the US companies went in the order of Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers... and Gretsch was a distant fourth. It's really something that they (Gretsch) not only survived the 80s and 90s, but they're thriving today.

Last edited:

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You'll probably find that the Gretsch will have a more open, louder tone and sharper attack while still retaining good lows. The Lud should be more focused around low-mids, less bright, and more round in attack.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned a USA Custom kit with 14x22s that was manufactured in 1984 and the BDs were great; a perfect sonic compliment to the toms (also 'traditional' depth). Personally I don't think increasing BD depth makes sense without a commensurate increase in diameter. The smallest BD that I think works in 16" depth is 26" diameter. Anything smaller is best at 14" depth. (20" and 18" diameter also work well at 12" depth.)

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have owned and played Gretsch: 22x14 and 20x16. I love the 14” depth it’s just faster and easier to get a great sound from. The 16” depth on my 20 bd is fine too, but not as fast to reach tone as the 14”. I would go 14” depth on bass drums.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Premier and Sonor and Hayman were seen used by bands (in the magazines) (early 70s late 60s) at that time too.
creem, rolling stone, downbeat, melody maker.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To this day the best sounding bass drums I have ever owned or played have been Gretsch maple/gum bass drums . The Sonor Vintage series is a close runner up . Gretsch USA Custom toms have a such a huge tuning range and don’t choke when tuned to higher pitches like a lot of their competitors toms .