Ludwig Hammered Acrophonic snare drum. Who's got one and do you love it?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a Ludwig Hammered Acrophonic snare drum in the 6.5x14 size. I can't really find too much in terms of owner's reviews, just videos of drum shops advertising the drum to sell. I understand that this is essentially a hammered 402 shell without the chrome plating, but how do these drums sound and what do you like about it? Also, I know that lots of you already have acrolites from the 60s, 70s, etc...and that you love them, etc... Please limit your replies to this drum specifically. I am trying to gather some information based only on this specific drum from owners to see if it might be something for me. Thank you.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Based on your other thread about a Classic Maple Snare, I'd say I went through this exact same thought process since the CM and and Acro are pretty much in the same price range.

After lots of online research and finally trying both at a store (it was an acrolite not an acrophonic) I went with the CM.

Now at the end of the day, I just want to own both of them

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also, I have heard from a very good source that Ludwig's Seamless metal shells are no longer made in the USA by Ludwig (like they were in the past) and that they are made oversees. Can anyone confirm this?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Based on your other thread about a Classic Maple Snare, I'd say I went through this exact same thought process since the CM and and Acro are pretty much in the same price range.

After lots of online research and finally trying both at a store (it was an acrolite not an acrophonic) I went with the CM.

Now at the end of the day, I just want to own both of them
I am with you, brother! I like the option of both rather than either/or! :)

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Also, I have heard from a very good source that Ludwig's Seamless metal shells are no longer made in the USA by Ludwig (like they were in the past) and that they are made oversees. Can anyone confirm this?
I could be mistaken but it's all made in the US except the Hierloom shells, black magic and supra lite, maybe the Standard Maple

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but it's all made in the US except the Hierloom shells, black magic and supra lite, maybe the Standard Maple
Like I said before, I have been told that they are all made in China these days.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A company called Amalco made (or makes) the metal shells for Ludwig. I have pics from that factory somewhere, I might even have posted them on this forum before.

Browny

Reaction score
A company called Amalco made (or makes) the metal shells for Ludwig. I have pics from that factory somewhere, I might even have posted them on this forum before.
Had a look out of curiosity.

American Aluminum Company
230 Sheffield Street
Mountainside, NJ 07092

"Deep-Drawn, Hydroformed, & Dip-Brazed Metal Parts"

Very well could be a supplier. Would make sense.... let the baker's bake.

Inside the my reissue 6.5 Acro there is a 'Made In The USA' logo, which I'm assuming the use of is at least partially regulated, and it specifically says "Hand-Crafted in Monroe, NC". I highly doubt they're made in China, surely they'd be torn a new one for claiming to be American made.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a look out of curiosity.

American Aluminum Company
230 Sheffield Street
Mountainside, NJ 07092

"Deep-Drawn, Hydroformed, & Dip-Brazed Metal Parts"

Very well could be a supplier. Would make sense.... let the baker's bake.

Inside the my reissue 6.5 Acro there is a 'Made In The USA' logo, which I'm assuming the use of is at least partially regulated, and it specifically says "Hand-Crafted in Monroe, NC". I highly doubt they're made in China, surely they'd be torn a new one for claiming to be American made.
Found them;

D217A727-49BC-45A0-84C6-D98BD85DB192.jpeg

98AA3ABC-74CC-4ECB-B827-475730210C38.jpeg

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok, great! That makes me feel better knowing that they are made here in the states. Thanks halldorl!
Now, does anyone regularly play one of these hammered Acrophonic snare drums?

Browny

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the further derailing but..

I found a Black Galaxy shell on their website:
1585697523598.png

Obvious issue with the sizes, should be 14x5"... but it does make me wonder what the cost would be for an Acroltie/Blackrolite kit if they'd agree to make and sell someone some Ludwig style shells in larger sizes.... 24x14", 13x9" & 16x16" Acro/Blackro/Copperhonic/etc kit with the centre bead would be something else!

1585697690218.png

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by the hammered Acrolites, but they are already so dry without the hammering. I wonder if I would find it less versatile in the long run. They look sweet though.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by the hammered Acrolites, but they are already so dry without the hammering. I wonder if I would find it less versatile in the long run. They look sweet though.
For some reason, I thought that you had one for a while and then sold it?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never did. Perhaps the one Ludwig that never ended up on my stand. Haha. Actually, I’ve never had any hammered Ludwig.
I must be thinking of the George Way Hollywood drum you had a while back for sale. Anyway, the Ludwig hammered drums are really pretty great. I have a couple old hammered bronze 6.5x14s, one Supra (1988), the other a Super Sensitive (1990) and also a 6.5x14 Hammered Black beauty Super Sensitive (90s)...all three are pretty killer drums. I have been eyeing these hammered Acrophonic snares for a couple years. I finally pulled the trigger on one today. The last one that Shane at Portsmouth had... We'll see how it sounds. A buddy here in Detroit who notoriously hates everything, really loves his hammered Acrophonic. I think he has both sizes!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't DanRH have one of these for a short time about a year ago? Yes, I DO realize that Dan has had many drums go through his hands so don't come down on me too hard for posing what looks like a rather obvious question. :)

2and4

Reaction score
I got one of these drums over Christmas. Have to say I think it's pretty great. Since I gig around NYC, I 95% of the time play a '70's Acrolite, because it sounds great and (mainly) it is super light to haul on the subway and carry on your back. For my studio I was thinking I wanted that same sound but maybe deeper, so I pulled the trigger on the 6.5 Hammered Acrophonic I found looking for Christmas deals. I find it has the same dry tone, maybe a little drier with the hammering, and just the right amount of ring. I generally prefer 5 inch snares, but I think if I had to give up all my 6.5 drums except one, I'd probably keep the Acrophonic.