Ludwig Hammered Acrophonic snare drum. Who's got one and do you love it?

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I must be thinking of the George Way Hollywood drum you had a while back for sale. Anyway, the Ludwig hammered drums are really pretty great. I have a couple old hammered bronze 6.5x14s, one Supra (1988), the other a Super Sensitive (1990) and also a 6.5x14 Hammered Black beauty Super Sensitive (90s)...all three are pretty killer drums. I have been eyeing these hammered Acrophonic snares for a couple years. I finally pulled the trigger on one today. The last one that Shane at Portsmouth had... We'll see how it sounds. A buddy here in Detroit who notoriously hates everything, really loves his hammered Acrophonic. I think he has both sizes!
I have a hammered Supra that I love if that helps at all.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a look out of curiosity.

American Aluminum Company
230 Sheffield Street
Mountainside, NJ 07092

"Deep-Drawn, Hydroformed, & Dip-Brazed Metal Parts"

Very well could be a supplier. Would make sense.... let the baker's bake.

Inside the my reissue 6.5 Acro there is a 'Made In The USA' logo, which I'm assuming the use of is at least partially regulated, and it specifically says "Hand-Crafted in Monroe, NC". I highly doubt they're made in China, surely they'd be torn a new one for claiming to be American made.
Wonder if they have a Non-Disclosure or Non-Compete in place with Ludwig for these shells?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got one of these drums over Christmas. Have to say I think it's pretty great. Since I gig around NYC, I 95% of the time play a '70's Acrolite, because it sounds great and (mainly) it is super light to haul on the subway and carry on your back. For my studio I was thinking I wanted that same sound but maybe deeper, so I pulled the trigger on the 6.5 Hammered Acrophonic I found looking for Christmas deals. I find it has the same dry tone, maybe a little drier with the hammering, and just the right amount of ring. I generally prefer 5 inch snares, but I think if I had to give up all my 6.5 drums except one, I'd probably keep the Acrophonic.
Thanks, Buffalo, for taking the time to write your thoughts on the drum. I was thinking about this drum for several years and I just pulled the trigger on it yesterday. It was their last one. It seems that when these drums dry up...they really dry up. It's kind of like trying to find a Black Galaxy Acrolite 6.5x14...good luck! They are all gone and dried up. This drum will find good company with some of my other Ludwig metal snare drums. Again, thanks for the good words.

Browny

Reaction score
Wonder if they have a Non-Disclosure or Non-Compete in place with Ludwig for these shells?
I'm almost certain that there would be some kind of restriction in place to prevent Amalco producing those shells for others. It is most likely constrained within a commercial context.

That being said, Ludwig are probably the biggest classic 'name' in drums (in popular music over time), and that name in association with the logo, lugs and artists is what makes Ludwig. It's not like Amalco are going to make some Ludwig shells and brand them with their own logo to try and take Ludwig on.

You might be able to buy a set of shells for 'personal use'. Otherwise why would they advertise them on their website?

I still reckon an Acrolite/Blacrolite 'Pro Beat' kit with some classic/mini-classic lugs would be amazing...

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The question is whether this is the same company that has been making their high end metal shells all along or is this a different company? When I look at my 1988 hammered bronze 6.5x14, I see that the bottom (reso side) bearing edge has a wide, flatter flange vs the top (batter side) bearing edge has a rounder, shorter flange...the bearing edges are not the same top and bottom. Are they still like this?