ludwig hammered bronze supraphonic - early shell - shes done! -------- one last question?

fivestarkid

Reaction score
this came intentionally patinaed. I scrubbed the crap out of it. his patina job wasn't the greatest. shot it with one coat of lacquer. replaced the butt plate with a new Ludwig. replace the wires with Ludwig p1930 thin wires. installed a lugwig muffler I had from a 70s 3 ply kit. new heads. shes ready to rock! killer snare!
MY QUESTION----I saw someone selling one of these and it had a premier heavy rock nine type die-cast hoop on it. ( original?) I was trying to get this back to as original as possible...i have that die-cast hoop and a tama star-cast....(pictured ) should i put one of these on the drum? which will sound better with bronze???? die-cast or triple flanged? this would be the last step. i thought it was done but apparently i have to figure the batter hoop out...thanks to all!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're looking to keep and play the drum, I would see no problem with adding any type of die cast hoop.
If you're going to flip the drum, I would keep the stock triple flange hoop on it. or offer it as part of the sale.

If you want to keep it "all" Ludwig, look for a Twin Channel Die Cast Hoop on eBay/Reverb/DFO Sale section.
Expect to pay $75-100 for a good example (I've seen N.O.S. go for as much as $200 a hoop).
I don't think there is a sonic reason to purchase a bottom / reso TCDC hoop as you're not "playing" that side of the head with sticks (i.e. rim shots), unless of course you want to make it aesthetically symmetrical with the top hoop.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would not use die casts. It is bronze and less ringy than brass, and being hammered, it is drier. Thus, it should have little ring so triple flange should be good. On my smooth bronze 6.5, I have triple hoops. On my 80's B.B. bronze supra, I have patina-ed brass triple flange hoops. On my late model BB brass, I have die casts because the ring is too much. Generally, I don't see the need for die casts on bronze snares..........none of my 5 have them.

And if you are going to flip/sell the drum, let me know if you are looking for trades........thanks!

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Consider trying all 3 hoops and see what you like.

Latest posts